Position: Development Specialist
Essential Qualities: Trustworthy and acts with integrity; professional; reliable; respectful; organized; excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills; detail-oriented with the ability to see the big picture; strong organizational skills; impeccable time management and multi-tasking skills; ability to meet all deadlines; problem-solving and decision-making skills; self-motivated and self-sufficient; and the ability to treat confidential information with appropriate discretion
- Assist the president/chief executive and the organization with fund development, fundraising, and special events.
- Play an integral role in expanding the organization’s funding base.
- Develop and implement strategies to attract and sustain new funders.
- Foster positive relationships with the organization’s supporters.
- Assist in identifying and cultivating giving programs with small, medium, and large individual donors; prioritize prospects; document all contacts; and track and document progress.
- Conduct research on prospective support from private foundations, government grants, and corporate, civic, and individual donors.
- Assemble donor kits for events and meetings and meet with or present to foundations on the president/chief executive’s and organization’s behalf.
- Help develop grant proposals; create grant management systems; track grants and reports; and submit grant proposals and reports in a timely manner.
- Inform and coordinate the production of individual and group fundraising appeals.
- Help process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Create monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Continually update and correct database records.
- Inform media materials for distribution.
- Other duties as assigned by the president/chief executive
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Experience in development, nonprofit management, and/or fundraising, preferably in areas central to the organization’s mission
- College-level education and/or specialized/continuing education in the field of development
- At least three professional references
Compensation: This is a part-time consulting position. Compensation is negotiable.