Communications Intern, Fall 2021
Contact your internship coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
The communications internship is ideal for a student seeking a hands-on opportunity to work on media relations, online communications, and research and publications. The intern will work as an integral part of PHR’s communications team to help with materials and messaging for PHR’s mission and work.
The communications intern will attend departmental and staff meetings, as well as regular learning and social events with other interns and staff from PHR to round out his/her learning experience and complement PHR-provided career mentoring.
PHR internships are unpaid. Candidates may be able to arrange academic credit and should check with their individual academic institutions for requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Track relevant news stories on human rights violations around the world.
· Research, write, proofread, and copy-edit social media, blog posts, web content, newsletter articles, press releases, and other communications materials.
· Run reports and use to track website traffic and online ad campaigns.
· Track PHR’s media coverage and compile and organize media lists.
· Research journalists and outlets covering topics and regions related to PHR’s work.
Qualifications and Experience
· Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program of study specializing in communications, journalism, international relations, or other relevant major
· Interest in communications work in a nonprofit setting
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite
· Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to facilitate a project from start to finish
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and professionally
· Mature judgment, confidentiality, and capacity to work independently
· Sense of humor a plus
Location and Hours
· The intern will be remote but based out of the NY office due to PHR’s evaluation of coronavirus health risks.
· PHR welcomes applications from candidates located out of state.
· The internship starts in September and requires at least a 10- 12 week commitment.
· Hours can be flexible to accommodate different types of schedules.
How to Apply
Please apply by sending a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Include “Communications Intern, Fall 2021” in the subject line. Please include in your cover letter the number of weekly hours you would be able to commit to the internship.