Plexus’ Nuclear Solutions Division is seeking ANSI/ANS-3.1 Senior Radiological Control Technicians to support decommissioning activities in Northern Virginia (Washington, DC-area). Responsibilities will include providing radiation protection support at the job site, preparation and implementation of radiation safety policies/plans/procedures, performance of surveys, report preparation, manage dosimetry programs, training and other related services. As a Sr. RCT you will prevent or minimize exposure to onsite personnel, the surrounding public, and the environment while ensuring compliance with applicable regulations and site and job requirements.
*THIS IS NOT A REMOTE POSITION – YOU MUST BE WILLING TO WORK IN THE FT.BELVOIR, VA AREA*
The Sr. RCT’s will provide operational and technical support to the project, including but not limited to
- Staffing the radiological control points into and from the Contamination Reduction Zone (CRZ),
- Supervising and performing decontamination and radioactive materials and equipment removals,
- Frisking personnel prior to exiting the CRZ,
- Air sampling and analysis,
- Radiation measurements, and
- Performing and documenting surveys in accordance with Multi-Agency Radiation Survey and Site Investigation Manual (MARSSIM) and/or Multi-Agency Radiation Survey and Assessment of Materials and Equipment MARSAME based on survey unit classifications.
Project tasks may include development and implementation of work plans for radiological surveys and remediation, instrument operation, performing inspections, environmental monitoring, sampling and analysis during the site investigations and remediation, regulatory support, waste management, oversight of other RCT staff, training, and preparing reports. You will work with other staff on the facility decommissioning, analysis and packaging of radioactive waste and debris, management and disposal of contaminated waste, demobilization, and preparation of reports and documentation.
Other duties include:
- Assuring radiation safety plans and procedures are complete and properly implemented.
- Project personnel are trained and qualified commensurate with assigned responsibilities.
- Identifying radiation hazards and hazard controls during development of integrated hazard analyses/controls for each task.
- Verifying and managing the availability of calibrated and operational radiation safety equipment, tools and materials necessary for task execution.
- Performance of work area inspections prior to the start of work and periodically throughout task
- Management and implementation of required air monitoring programs.
- Exposure monitoring and reporting results to personnel.
- Generation and retention of radiation safety records as required by a Radiation Protection Plan (RPP).
- Identification, correction and communication of safety program or staff performance issues.
- ANSI/ANS-3.1 Senior Radiological Control Technician
- NRRPT certification desired
- Experience with performing characterization and final status surveys for decommissioning and other projects is desired.
- Formally trained in radiation protection topics including the following: physics of radiation; radiation’s interaction with matter; mathematics necessary for the subject matter; biological effects of radiation; type and use of instruments for detection, monitoring and surveying radiation; radiation safety techniques and procedures; and use of time, distance, shielding, engineering controls, and PPE to reduce radiation exposure.
- Hands-on training in the uses of equipment, instrumentation, procedures, and theory;
- Knowledge of applicable regulations including those of the NRC, EPA, DOE, OSHA, DOT and DoD, pertaining to radioactive materials, radioactive and mixed waste; and
- Knowledge of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Radiation Safety Program is a plus, and recordkeeping requirements for work with radioactive materials and radiation generating devices is desired.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and Adobe Acrobat.
Some travel is required.
Plexus is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Disabled/Vets.