Project Chimps is the newest chimpanzee sanctuary in the United States and was founded to provide lifetime exemplary care to more than 200 former research chimpanzees. Today, Project Chimps is home to 59 chimpanzees and we are working to bring more than 150 to permanent sanctuary.
The Project Chimps sanctuary is located on 236 acres of forested land in the Blue Ridge Mountains. We are located in Morganton, Georgia, just east of the town of Blue Ridge.
Our culture of excellence is sustained by a passionate, high-performing team of core staff and volunteers. If you thrive in a results-oriented culture dedicated to performance excellence, we invite you to join our team!
A Facilities Maintenance Assistant supports the mission of Project Chimps by providing general maintenance and repairs to company facilities, grounds, and equipment to ensure the provision of a safe and secure environment for the chimpanzees and personnel. The Facilities Maintenance Assistant. A Facilities Maintenance Assistant reports to the Facilities Manager and works closely with Facilities Specialist, as well as the Chimpanzee Care staff and other personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES are derived from SECTION C, Performance Standards.
• Contribute to a positive and professional organizational culture that promotes Project Chimps’ values, mission, and vision
• Serves as the on-call facilities employee in the event of emergencies
• Completes repair/maintenance requests, including those that involve electrical components or welding
• Investigates reports of damaged or malfunctioning facilities or equipment, and implements a course of action
• Maintains grounds and sheltered areas to prevent clutter and overgrowth
• Inspects and makes necessary repairs to the perimeter fence on a routine basis
• Paints exterior and interior walls as needed<br>• Assists with road leveling and maintenance
• Uses and operates hand tools, power tools, work vehicles, and heavy equipment
• Keeps maintenance shop clean and organized
PERIPHERAL DUTIES are derived from SECTION C, Performance Standards.
1. Follows Project Chimps’ policies and procedures, and serves as a positive example to other team members
2. Actively participating in team problem-solving and decision making processes; required attendance at staff meetings.
3. Other duties as assigned.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Minimum of a High School Diploma or GED required
2. A minimum of five (2) years’ of experience in general facilities maintenance
3. Must be 18 years of age per state and federal requirements.
4. Must remain current in CPR and first-aid certification.
5. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate superb interpersonal, communication, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Steel fabrication and welding skills, including MIG and stick welding
2. Knowledge and skills in the installation and repair of electrical components, including generators and electrically operated motors
3. Ability to safely operate and maneuver a truck and 5th wheel trailer, including reversing and maneuvering through tight spaces and winding gravel roads
4. Technical skills in general facility maintenance, including painting, landscaping, vehicle/engine repair, use of power tools and heavy equipment
5. Willingness to work in the vicinity of and have respect for chimpanzees, who are considered dangerous wildlife and may exhibit unpleasant behaviors
6. Ability to work safely and efficiently in a fast-paced environment
7. Ability to follow directions, be flexible, and use good judgement
8. Ability to work cooperatively in a team of individuals with diverse backgrounds, education, and experience
9. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
10. Basic math skills, in particular addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and measurements
11. Because effective communication is essential to maintain safe working conditions and respond effectively to emergencies, the ability to speak, write, and understand English is required.
12. Good communication skills.
13. Excellent interpersonal skills.
14. Must have or obtain and maintain an up-to-date vaccines as required for this position.
15. Demonstrated to be proactive and self-motivated.
16. Must be able to endure occasional long workdays (up to 12 hours) and maintain focus, accuracy and physical activities required by job.
17. Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
The following physical requirements are considered to be essential for this position: the ability to stand, walk, run in the face of danger, and climb stairs, 20/20 binocular vision and peripheral vision with or without corrective lenses, the ability to hear with or without hearing aids, the ability to speak with or without assistive devices, the ability to use arms (upper limbs) with a full range of overhead motion, the ability to use hands and fingers, the ability to bend and squat, and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. (22.7 kg) without assistance.
Employee must also be able to operate vehicles and heavy machinery.
1. Flexible scheduling; will be assigned to work weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
2. Will work outdoors in a variety of adverse weather conditions including: temperatures as low as 15 degrees, temperatures as high as 110 degrees, wind storms, rain, hail, and intense sunlight. May be required to work outside in the evenings and middle of the night using safety lights.
3. Will be working around dangerous animals.
4. Natural odors from these species and their fecal waste will be high.
5. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
6. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.