The Vet Up! programs at Purdue College of Veterinary Medicine (PVM) provide opportunities and support for underrepresented and/or underserved high school and undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career in veterinary medicine. This may include racial and ethnic minorities, low-income, first-generation college, and rural students. There are multiple components to the Vet Up! program, and this listing is specifically for the Vet Up! Champions component. Please see our other listing for the Vet Up! College component, a 6-week summer residential program/internship.
Vet Up! College is a 6-week residential program at Purdue College of Veterinary Medicine for rising undergraduate juniors and seniors* at the time of the program in summer 2022 who are serious about applying to veterinary school.
- This program allows students to preview what it is like to be a veterinary student through coursework, clinical skills labs, industry trips, study groups, group projects, and more.
- Four weeks are spent on Purdue’s campus in West Lafayette, and two weeks are spent completing an internship at a clinical placement site in the student’s local area. Many students have been able to secure long-term employment at their clinical site after the internship concludes to continue gaining valuable veterinary experience.
- The opportunity to apply for early, provisional admission to Purdue’s veterinary school, bypassing the VMCAS application process, may be included in this program for students who are eligible.
- Programming is cost-free, with housing, a travel stipend up to a maximum amount, and a daily expense stipend to offset most, if not all, expenses incurred from participation. This is why this position is marked as “paid.” Many students have excess funds from the daily stipend and choose to save this stipend for their future education or for other purposes.
- All participants receive long-term advising and mentorship as long as their end goal continues to be to earn a DVM degree.
- Students with an interest in veterinary shortage areas, including food safety, public health, and regulatory medicine, receive preference during the admissions process.
- Check eligibility requirements here.*
The next Vet Up! College cohort will take place from May 23, 2022 to July 1, 2022. The application deadline for this cohort is February 4, 2022. The application and required supplemental materials can be found here.
A representative will be available at various fairs to share information about program eligibility, details, and application process for two components of the program: Vet Up! Champions and Vet Up! College. If you would like more information prior to the fair, check out our website: purduevetup.org.
Can’t meet with us at an upcoming career, internship, graduate or professional school fair? Sign up for virtual information sessions being held November 3 & December 1: go.oncehub.com/vetupinfo.
*Students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree prior to programming are ineligible for Vet Up! Champions & Vet Up! College.
This program is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $3.18 million. The contents are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government.