San Antonio Community Center Intern
Fall 2020 Internship, 10 week commitment; your start and end dates will be discussed with your interviewer and/or supervisor.
Location: Due to Covid19 this postion could be remote/; San Antonio–Camaron Location
Schedule: Office Operating Hours Monday-Friday 8-5pm with some scheduled weekends & evening hours .
Concentration: Fields of Concentration (Social Work)
Interviews will be in-person if you are a local applicant; interviews can be conducted via phone or Google Hangouts if you are not a local applicant.
Founded in 1987, RAICES is the largest non-profit immigration organization in Texas with offices in Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Fort Worth, and San Antonio and staff in Houston, Washington, D.C., and many other locations around Texas. Since 1986, the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES) has assisted vulnerable members of the immigrant community – including asylum seekers, unaccompanied minors, immigrant detainees, and survivors of torture – to navigate the United States immigration court system by helping them to better understand their rights and responsibilities in that process. With the mission to promote justice by providing free and low cost immigration legal services to underserved children, families, and refugees in Central and South Texas, RAICES has grown from a San Antonio based organization to one that serves clients all over Texas. RAICES current, major ongoing activities include: the legal representation of unaccompanied children, families and adults seeking assistance with their immigration case; emergency shelter and referral services for such individuals who have been released from detention; and working with local communities to increase their capacity to be welcoming and to prepare for any executive actions or immigration reforms.
The San Antonio Community Center Intern is a collaborative supporter and member of the Social Programs Department with the objective to support the mission of RAICES. The Intern will be a part of the San Antonio Community Center program which serves as an inclusive, welcoming space providing wrap-around services to RAICES’ clients. The Community Center offers services to clients via a Donation Center, Job Skills Training, Vocational Training, ESL Classes, and eventual Community Garden. The Intern will provide direct services to clients, educational workshops, and assist with the day to day duties of the Donation Center.
- Provide direct client services using trauma informed principles based on ethical practice.
- Develop an educational curriculum for Community Center clients, based on evidenced based models & teach the course to clients.
- Identify & assist with the development of client surveys and outcome measures related to program services.
- Complete initial client assessments of Donation Center referrals & provide timely follow-up calls and reminders as needed.
- Assist clients during their shopping experience at the Donation Center
- Provide trauma informed care when interacting with clients in all capacities.
- Maintain accurate tracking of client information in various database systems
- Participate in an necessary professional development trainings
- Communicates with Donors providing information related to in-kind donations, hours of operations, and schedules donation drop offs.
- Completes internal processes for in-kind donations
- Assists with the organization of donations at the Center & helps maintain Donation Center inventory.
- Creates multi-lingual announcements and flyers for Community Center trainings and events.
- Communicates effectively with RAICES staff to address client needs, services, or follow up.
- Assist the AVP of Social Programs and Community Center Manager with other projects as required.
- Must be a Social Work Major
- Must be a currently enrolled university student
- Must be bilingual (speaking, writing, reading)
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and work in a professional manner
- Must be comfortable working with diverse clients.
- Must be able to maintain appropriate client boundaries.
- Must have personal transportation
Additional Comments: By interning with the RAICES you will gain broad knowledge of the different components encompassing immigration law, be at the forefront of the fight for a fair immigration system and good governance, gain experience in management, operations, logistics and community organizing, have networking opportunities with other members of partner organizations, and develop leadership and personal development skills.
RAICES is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.