RAICES – Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
Fall 2020 Internship, 10 week commitment ; your start and end dates will be discussed with your interviewer and/or supervisor.
Location: RAICES Kentucky House; 802 Kentucky Ave., San Antonio, TX 78201
Schedule: 15-30 hours a week (unless receiving funds from outside organization)
Concentration: Social Work, Legal, Immigration, Children’s Rights
Interviews will be in-person if you are a local applicant; interviews can be conducted via phone or Google Hangouts if you are not a local applicant.
THIS IS AN UNPAID INTERNSHIP.
Founded in 1987, RAICES is the largest non-profit immigration organization in Texas with offices in Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Fort Worth, and San Antonio with additional staff in Houston, Washington, D.C., and many other locations around Texas. As one of the front line organizations working in immigration, RAICES serves unaccompanied minors, detained families, survivors of human trafficking and domestic violence, refugees, asylum seekers, and immigrants from all countries. In addition to employing over 50 attorneys, RAICES advocates at the state and national level for policy change, is an ORR Resettlement Agency, and provides social support to immigrant communities through direct services including shelter and linking families with a network of advocates around the country. RAICES is strategically located in communities close to detention centers and immigration courts to provide crucial representation and advocacy through relationships with our surrounding communities.
RAICES seeks to hire a part-time Refugee Resettlement Intern to assist in the operations and delivery of the Reception and Placement Program (RP) services. This intern will work independently by following standard practices and procedures. In addition, they will provide support and assistance to the program and its case managers through program implementation and growth. As the Resettlement Intern for RAICES, you will be responsible for the following:
- Provide case management services to refugees and other displaced persons including coordination of housing, orientation/client education, and other basic needs enrollments within program requirements and time frames utilizing in-house services and referrals to external service providers within the community;
- Assist clients engaging in activities that will facilitate the client’s self-sufficiency and ability to perform tasks independently;
- Coordinate the provision of interpretation and translation services to clients;
- Provide safe and supervised transportation for clients to off-site appointments or activities as needed and confirm public transport capabilities;
- Complete all case notes and program documentation, ensure accuracy and compliance within program guidelines (core services of the Cooperative Agreement) and confirm timely delivery of services;
- Enter data in the agency database in a timely manner;
- Communicate, coordinate and promote the program with the community and partners;
- Serve as an advocate for clients;
- Compile program statistics and submit reports to the funding source in a timely manner;
- Travel to local sites using personal vehicle;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be a currently enrolled college/graduate student (SOCIAL WORK major);
- High English language proficiency with excellent communication skills both verbal and written required;
- Computer proficient with a high literacy in Microsoft Office and Google applications required;
- Experience working with diverse populations and refugee social services programs preferred;
- Some evenings and weekends required, flex schedule will be arranged as necessary to accommodate the intern.
By interning with the Refugee Resettlement team you will gain broad knowledge of the different components encompassing immigration law, be at the forefront of the fight for a fair immigration system and good governance, gain experience in management, operations, logistics and community organizing, have networking opportunities with other members of partner organizations, and develop leadership and personal development skills.
RAICES is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.