The Director State Legislative Affairs will assist with all aspects of RAINN’s policy research, government relations and advocacy efforts. Will require travel to support state legislative and policy efforts post covid.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Vice president for Public Policy, the director will:
- Lobby for state legislative policy and advocacy efforts.
- Evaluate and develop state campaign initiatives consistent with RAINN’s policy priorities.
- Develop and maintain state legislative partnerships and relationships with key state officials, state agencies and state-level stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain state coalitions as needed.
- Provide weekly updates on both reactive and pro-active state legislative efforts in the anti-sexual violence mission space, cooperatively with the Policy Coordinator.
- Prepare and provide summaries and recommendations on legislation and other policy proposals.
- Develop legislative scorecards and mapping for state campaign efforts.
- Prepare meeting materials and research, including to support media inquiries received by RAINN’s communications department;
- Build and execute state campaign plans in multiple states simultaneously.
- Maintain a database of key policy department contacts.
- Write and update materials for state legislative advocacy efforts.
- Support federal policy efforts when needed.
- Help supervise and maintain all required state registration and lobbyist disclosure forms.
- All other duties, as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and/or ability required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum five years of state legislative work at a statehouse or non-governmental organization with a robust state level advocacy program.
- Solid knowledge of and familiarity with policy issues affecting sexual violence.
- Experience on political campaigns preferred.
- Exceptional analytical, research and organizational skills a must.
- Strong interpersonal skills with exceptional communication and presentation skills, both written and spoken.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent time-management and prioritization skills.
- Must be able to perform with minimal supervision and function well in a cooperative team environment. Must possess the ability to effectively relate to a wide variety of people and demonstrate creatively in addressing assignments and problem solving.
- Experience with and skill in statistical analysis a plus, but not required.
- Ability to exercise good professional judgment and ethical behavior in handling sensitive material with discretion.
- Commitment to RAINN’s mission and goals.
- Must be willing to travel extensively.
- Must complete a criminal background check (administered by RAINN).
The position is based in Washington, DC. Please note that RAINN staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
To Apply: Please Submit resume, cover letter, and Salary requirements to: VP of Public Policy at https://rainn.applicantpro.com/jobs/ incomplete applications will not be considered.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. it is not to be constructed as an exhaustive statement of the essential functions. Responsibilities and/or requirements.
When you are work for RAINN, you’re joining a team of experts and professionals who stand up for survivors of sexual violence every day. Your job is important–and so are you. RAINN will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, genetic formation, disability, or protected veteran status. RAINN is committed to maximizing the diversity of its organization and depends on a diverse staff to carry out its mission, and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.