Reach the World transforms the energy of travelers into a learning resource for K-12 classrooms. Our programs combine a digital platform, messaging and video conferencing to connect youth with travelers in one-to-one global, digital exchanges. Through our nationwide network of educators, travelers and volunteers, we are building a more thoughtful and welcoming society by sharing the benefits of travel with the youth of today, who will be the decision-makers of tomorrow.
Reach the World’s Global Learning Leaders are undergraduate and graduate school students who are interested in gaining classroom teaching experience. Global Learning Leaders are assigned to one of Reach the World’s NYC partner schools, where their role is to facilitate connections between a K-12 classroom and a college-aged study abroad student (reachtheworld.org/journeys). This summer, Reach the World will partner with select NYC Dept. of Education schools as part of the city’s Summer Rising initiative, to provide engaging, curricularly-aligned programming and resources.
Global Learning Leaders will be placed in one or more partner classrooms, and receive training on program design, teaching, lesson planning, classroom management while using Reach the World’s global education platform. Global Learning Leaders will receive a stipend upon completion of each 2-3 month session. This dynamic, part-time internship opportunity offers:
- Help teachers design and implement customized Reach the World programming
- Assist in a (K-12) NYC summer school classroom
- Facilitate and manage all communication between the classroom and their study abroad traveler, including videoconferences
- Create weekly lesson plans and design hands-on, content relevant activities for students
- Facilitate lessons and activities and actively engage with students in the classroom
- Report directly to a program manager on a weekly basis for feedback and support
- Attend professional development meetings throughout the semester
- Observe and collaborate with experienced NYC Dept. of Education teachers
- Set and achieve programmatic and personal goals