Check with your internship coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to renewing and advancing the values of liberal democracy in the U.S. and around the world. We promote intellectual humility and an empathetic approach to disagreement.
We have a small, tight-knit executive team, so interns will have the unique opportunity to learn all aspects of how to run an organization and make a personal impact on America’s democratic landscape. Because we are a start-up organization, interns should also be ready to play multiple roles as we have an “all hands on deck” mentality. All roles will have a mix of substantive and administrative responsibilities.
Interns will have nearly unprecedented access to our Board of Directors—including renowned chess champion Garry Kasparov, Senator Heidi Heitkamp, Senator Bob Kerrey, Pulitzer Prize winner Bret Stephens, former head of the Republican National Committee, Michael Steele, and many others. Check out our website for more info!
About the role
Responsibilities will include some of the following. Candidates should have interest in some of these, but do not necessarily have to have experience in all of them. Please review our social media presence and website to see some of our existing content.
- Working on video conceptualization & development with our video team, executive team, and members of the Board of Directors;
- Assisting with audio editing and video production. This will involve a number of tasks, including but not limited to: sound design, music composition, finding music to score videos, and scoring videos.
- Working with the marketing team and video team to create video content for social media campaigns;
- Creating engaging online content, and working with the RDI team to showcase this content in a media-friendly way that effectively summarizes key ideas;
- Assisting with the promotion of RDI video content;
- Creatively strategizing ways to generate positive publicity for RDI;
- Working on other special projects as needed.
Qualifications of an ideal candidate:
- Exceptional undergraduates, graduate students, recent grads; or those with relevant & commensurate work experience are encouraged to apply;
- Knowledge of sound designing and sound mixing is a must;
- Experience editing with Adobe Audition/Premiere Pro is recommended;
- Flexible in terms of applications of sound for any type of video;
- Detail-oriented to a fault;
- In full support of RDI’s mission and values;
- Experience thinking through effective distribution of video content a plus;
- Knowledge of graphic design is a plus;
- Open-minded and willing to interact with those whom they may disagree with;
- Social, articulate, and a self-starter unafraid to take initiative;
- Excellent communication skills;
Logistics & Benefits
- An ability to work remotely due to the current crisis and, if/when it’s safe to return to the office, an opportunity to work at an exciting start-up with unlimited snacks, coffee, and other perks.
- Our internships last 4-6 months. Interns can either work full time (40 hours/week) or part time (15-25 hours/week);
- Hours are flexible and we are willing to work around your academic schedule;
- An opportunity to work closely with senior organizational leadership, including the Executive Director, as well as access to members of the Board of Directors, and other individuals from RDI’s extended network.
- This is an unpaid internship.
- A typical day could include spending a few hours executing on a video project, a lunch-and-learn with a prominent political figure, a world champion poker player, or a business leader, time spent coordinating with the Executive Team to shoot a new project, and a team meeting to conceptualize new video ideas.
We are recruiting on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, brief cover letter, examples of your video/creative work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also indicate your desired hours per week and start date in your cover letter. Only complete applications will be reviewed.