21st Century Community Learning Centers (21C) Quantitative Intern
About the Organization
Research for Action (RFA) seeks to use research as the basis for the improvement of educational opportunities and outcomes for traditionally underserved students. Our work is designed to strengthen public schools and postsecondary institutions; provide research-based recommendations to policymakers, practitioners, and the public at the local, state and national levels; and enrich the civic and community dialogue about public education.
RFA’s main office, located at 100 S. Broad St., Suite 700, Philadelphia, PA 19110, is currently closed due to the COVID19 pandemic. Despite this recent event, RFA is continuing to provide challenging, high-quality, and meaningful internship experiences for our students. Should our main office reopen following state and local public health guidance during your Fall 2021 internship, you may be asked to complete the remainder of your internship by working in RFA’s office.
To be considered for remote internships at RFA, interns must meet tech requirements described in Tech Requirements section below and reside in the PA/NJ area throughout the entire duration of the internship. At this moment RFA cannot offer internships to candidates outside of these two states.
RFA is the local evaluator for nineteen 21st Century Community Learning Centers (21st CCLCs). As the local evaluator, RFA produces mixed-methods reports that examine the implementation of the 21st Century programs and outcomes related to student attendance, academic achievement, and behavior. In addition to quantitative evaluation report requirements, RFA conducts observations, interviews, and focus groups to develop snapshots of out of school time (OST) program quality for formative purposes.
RFA is currently seeking a quantitative intern to join our 21C team. Interns on this project will work with the quantitative team to clean and analyze program participation, school outcome, and survey data. Duties include data cleaning, merging, and analysis using the statistical software, Stata, as well as internal analytic memo writing. Training in Stata is provided.
· Cleaning Data – 60%
· Drafting Analytic Memos – 20%
· Descriptive Data Analysis – 20%
Preferred Skill Sets and Experience
Prior experience using Stata, or another statistical software package, is preferred but not required.
Required Skill Sets and Experience
The intern for this project must be organized, curious, detail-oriented, and have strong communication skills. We are seeking a candidate that possesses experience or coursework related to quantitative research.
maximum of 15-20h per week
If working remotely, we require that you have access to a personal computer with an up-to-date Mac or Windows operating system, up-to-date antivirus software, a functional webcam and microphone, and a stable internet connection at your residence. If hired, RFA will require a technology check of your remote system to ensure your working environment is compatible with ours.
· Fall internships run from September through December.
· Target Start Date: 09/13/2021; Target End Date: 12/10/2021. The exact dates are based on the needs of the project and the availability of the intern. For this position, interns not receiving work-study will be paid $8.00/hr.
· Only complete applications including Resume & Cover letter will be taken into consideration for the internship hiring.
· Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until all positions have been filled.
· At the time of application, must be actively enrolled in an accredited college or university, as a sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student in good standing. Students might be eligible for continuation of their internship after graduation.
· Research for Action qualifies for work-study and PHEAA. Interns may also be eligible for course credit.
· If hired, a Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, must be completed at the start of employment (reference page 3 of the I-9 Form for acceptable forms of ID).
Research for Action is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.