Rhodium Group is recruiting Research Interns to join the company’s China Practice for the summer of 2021. Interns will work remotely.
Rhodium is looking for talented Interns to join our world-class team of researchers on China’s economy and global footprint. With a focus on Chinese policies and their global impact, you will support the team’s efforts producing cutting-edge research on China, contributing to data collection and analysis, policy monitoring, and the writing of reports and other key deliverables.
The Research Interns will primarily support Rhodium’s China Projects and China Markets Research teams, working on long-form studies on China’s economy and global footprint as well as shorter-term analyses of fast-moving developments in China’s economy and financial markets.
Interns will be working on a range of topics. Please state in your cover letter which of the two topics below you are most interested in.
- China Outbound Investment: Intern will support the compilation and analysis of data on China’s outbound investment and evaluate policies that affect investment flows (US time zone working hours)
- China’s Economic Development: Intern will evaluate the trajectory of Chinese economic policymaking in key areas and support related data compilation and analysis (US time zone working hours)
- China’s Economic Statecraft: Intern will support analysis of China’s economic statecraft across different channels and countries (US time zone working hours)
- China’s New Energy and Climate Policies: Intern will track and evaluate Chinese climate policies and related industry dynamics (US or EU time zone working hours)
- China’s Financial System: Intern will analyze and monitor developments in the Chinese financial system and the broader economy, including topics like credit flows, commodity and housing markets, and RMB exchange rate (US or Asia working hours)
- Chinese Technology Policy: Intern will monitor and evaluate developments in Chinese technology policy on topics potentially including data regulation, antimonopoly, and semiconductor industry policy (US time zone working hours)
- EU-China Relations: Intern will monitor and analyze political and economic developments in the EU-China relationship (EU time zone working hours)
Attractive candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Current or recent graduate of an undergraduate or graduate degree program in international economics, international affairs, China/Asia studies, political science, data science, or related fields
- Some initial work experience with applied policy and economic research preferred but not essential
- Familiarity with Chinese economic policy, and global China policy with a focus on OECD economies; a research interest and developing expertise in China’s economy and economic policies
- Ability to conduct research and produce quality assignments autonomously
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both within the firm and externally
- Either native speaker-level English writing and speaking skills or native speaker-level Chinese, with working proficiency in the other language: ideal candidates can read and interpret Chinese policies, press conferences, data, reports, media, and research
Location and Travel Requirements
- All interns will work remotely.
- Internships on different research topics will be required to work in specific time zones. See above for specific requirements.
Compensation, Benefits and Recruiting Process
Rhodium Group offers this internship as a paid position. Rhodium Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to fostering an environment that promotes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Rhodium Group is an independent research provider combining economic data and policy insight to analyze global trends. Rhodium has decades of experience advising CEOs, portfolio managers, philanthropists and policy leaders. In addition to our stand-alone analyses, we maintain long-standing collaborations with leading think-tanks and universities in the United States, Asia, and Europe. Our work is regularly cited by media and government bodies, and consulted by firms, investors, philanthropic leaders and policymakers worldwide. Key areas of Rhodium expertise include Chinese economic, social and political development, energy and climate change, India’s emergence as a global player and advanced economy restructuring.