HEAD JUNIOR COACH – FULL TIME/PART TIME
The YMCA is seeking experienced and dedicated leaders to join the aquatics department. This role will provide leadership, instruction and motivation for the participants in our swim team program as a major figure within our coaching staff as well as broader administrative and programmatic support for the aquatics department as a whole. The Y is a leading nonprofit for strengthening community, and the nation’s largest provider of swimming instruction to increase skills, safety, and confidence of swimmers both in- and out of the water. Give back to your community, help us empower our swimmers – join us!
Skills and Experience:
- Must be at least 18 years of age; have a high school diploma; experience in swim team and/or coaching; knowledge of skill and stroke development.
- Must complete state-mandated concussion training immediately and keep certification current (renews every 3 years).
- Certifications: American Red Cross Lifeguarding, CPR and First Aid for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and O2 certification.
- Current YUSA coaches safety training or Lifeguard certifications; must have completed Principles of Competitive Swimming and Diving (e-learning from the YMCA LCDC.)
- Must be able to demonstrate swim team coach skills in accordance with YMCA standards. ASCA level 2 preference but not required. Preferred minimum 3 years experience with either age group, junior and/or senior level athletes. Strong preference to those with a developmental and age group background. Ability to work weekend swim meets, afternoons during the week and occasionally early morning workouts as needed by the staff.
- Work one-on-one with both the Director of Competitive Swimming and VP of Aquatics and Strategic Partnerships.
- Ensure a safe and positive environment for all YMCA members and guests
- This position ensures that staff are able to work in a well-organized and productive environment, programs are running efficiently, and that our Aquatics departments continue to meet the needs of the community.
- Ideal characteristics:
- Self starter
- Collaborative coaching
- Ability to think outside the box
- Passionate about YMCA Aquatics Programming and its impact in the community
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
- Provide assistance to the Director of Competitive Swimming as well as all lead coaches, in creating a competitive team environment focused on developing high caliber athletes and young people. This includes incorporating the values of equal participation, family involvement, working toward individual goals, keeping winning in perspective, teaching fair play and good sportsmanship, and working with the whole person – spirit, mind, and body.
- Leads by example while adhering to YMCA policies, and being a role model both on and off the pool deck.
- Assists in the assessment of each swimmer and provides them with appropriate instruction and assists the lead coaches in creating competitive event assignments.
- Provides instruction, coaching and feedback to all swimmers during practices and meets that reflects the belief statements of YMCA competitive swimming.
- Assists in the development of the practice workout regimens to be used for each skill level group.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with swimmers and their parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Works with the Director of Competitive Swimming to identify and develop practice and meet schedules; considerations for schedules include balancing needs of the team program with the general membership of the Y.
- Conveys information about aquatics programs and schedules to swimmers and parents.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, meet results, team records, qualifying times, etc.)
- Assists the Director of Competitive Swimming VP of Aquatics to secure necessary supplies needed to host home swim meets; this includes but is not limited to: timing devices and equipment.
- Remains current in knowledge of, and operates within YMCA swimming rules and regulations.
- Attends league meetings, staff meetings and trainings and special events as scheduled.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away equipment used in practices and meets. Reports damaged equipment.,
Submit application to Michael Oldham at email@example.com
Salary to commensurate with experience
Expected start date August 30th