The regenerative organic movement is growing exponentially and creating significant demand for farmers, consultants, trainers, researchers, scientists, garden and landscape specialists, food production specialists as well as opportunities in accounting, communications, multimedia, development and more. These rewarding careers make an impact on healthy people and a healthy planet. You could be part of the solution the world needs today through an internship at Rodale Institute!
Rodale Institute is a nonprofit dedicated to growing the regenerative organic movement through rigorous research, farmer training, and consumer education. Widely recognized as the birthplace of the organic movement, Rodale Institute has been the global leader in regenerative organic agriculture for over 70 years. Specific focus areas of the Institute’s work include mitigating climate change, solving food insecurity, and developing solutions for farmers to succeed without relying on chemicals and inputs.
Rodale Institute is seeking a qualified Multimedia Intern to help create dynamic, digital storytelling. This intern would work with Rodale Institute’s Communications department on video projects, photography, online education such as webinars, and social media outlets such as Facebook Live and Youtube. Multimedia communications will be shared through social media, our website, email marketing and other campaigns.
Responsibilities Could Include:
- Pitching Multimedia story ideas
- Filming and photographing research and farm projects around Rodale Institute farm
- Editing video, including graphics and sound
- Working as a production assistant with professional videographers, including scheduling shoots, helping with lighting and sound equipment, etc.
- Using social media sites and live streaming features such as Facebook Live, YouTube, Instagram Stories and more
- Assisting with other communications tasks such as events
- Previous experience and coursework in communications, such as journalism, photography, multimedia, and more
- Interest in agriculture, food and farming, with a commitment to an organic planet
- Incredibly organized, attentive to detail, with the ability to manage projects, work independently, multi-task and be a team player
- Experience and interest in storytelling, including asking great questions and understanding a voice and a brand
- Experience with video or photo editing, such as iMovie, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc.
- Ideally, a candidate would have access to some of their own equipment for capturing and editing.
Location: Rodale Institute Experimental Farm, 611 Siegfriedale Road, Kutztown, PA 19530
Compensation: An ideal candidate will complete this internship for college credit. Additionally, there is an opportunity for a student to receive housing at Rodale Institute, as well as some organic food from the farm. Interns not receiving college credit will be paid $7.25/hour if receiving housing, or $9.50/hour if not receiving housing.
Schedule: An ideal candidate for a summer internship could commit to at least 30 hours/week for a minimum of 12 weeks. An ideal candidate for a spring or fall internship could commit to at least 15 hours/week for at least 12 weeks.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and at least two work samples (preferably completed video or photography projects) to Diana Martin at Diana.Martin@RodaleInstitute.org.
Deadlines: Suggested deadlines are listed below. If you miss a deadline, or you are interested in an internship that does not meet the minimum duration, please contact Diana Martin, Director of Communications at Diana.Martin@RodaleInstitute.org, as exceptions can sometimes be made based on the needs of Rodale Institute.
- Spring Internship: December 15
- Summer Internship: February 1
- Fall Internship: September 1