Student Care Assistant for Spring 2022
- Great opportunity for healthcare students, such as Nurses, Certified Medical Assistants, or Clinic Assistants!
- Position starts in Spring 2022 semester. The individual would potentially work up to 3 hours per week for 4 weeks. The position will not exceed 12 hours in total.
- The Student Care Assistant provides direct visual surveillance for an identified student under the supervisor of the Director of Student Accessibility Services.
- The Student Care Assistant provides continuous observation of the identified student during practicum placements and provides assistance to the student should there be a medical emergency.
- The individual who holds this position exemplifies the Rush mission, vision, and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
- Ensures the student is transported to the nearest emergency department if a medical emergency arises
- Alerts the appropriate supervisor on the specified unit of incident so patient care is appropriately transferred if a medical emergency arises
- Communicates frequently with identified student, practicum supervisor, and Director of Student Accessibility Services regarding any medical episode the student experiences.
- Engages in conversations with the student regarding their health at the start, during, and at the end of shift.
- Accompanies student throughout practicum shift which may include visiting different floors/units of the hospital while the student engages in their clinical requirements for their practicum experience.
- Provides constant observation and monitoring of assigned student to ensure safety and prevention of injury. Does not leave the student unless relieved by another staff member.
- Sits and/or stands with an unobstructed view of the student.
- Reports any changes in the student to the Director of Student Accessibility at the end of shift.
- Promotes and follows hospital infection control policies. Washes hands before and after student interaction.
- Maintains confidentiality of student’s information.
- Maintains customer focus.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position Qualifications Include:
- High school diploma/GED required.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Caring attitude toward the student with the maturity to meet the demands of the student.
- Ability to effectively plan, coordinate, and carry out assignments without supervision.
- Ability to mitigate difficult situations.
- Excellent observational skills.
- Work requires occasionally lifting or carrying objects 35-40 lbs.
- Work requires the ability to walk throughout the hospital and to be standing or sitting most of the designated shift (90%).
- Work conditions include constant visual observation of student for a specified period of time where carelessness could result in injury or illness.
- Rush was recently ranked first for Quality and Accountability among US academic medical centers in a study conducted by the health care performance improvement company Vizient.
- RUMC offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits & the professional advantages of an environment that supports your development & recognizes your achievements.
- Rush University is home to one of the first medical colleges in the Midwest and one of the nation’s top-ranked nursing colleges, as well as graduate programs in allied health, health systems management and biomedical research.
- Ranked among the top 20 “Best Places to Work” by Indeed.
- Rush University Medical Center received five stars in a quality rating system by the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Rush University Medical Center is the only five-star academic medical center in the Chicago area.
- Rush has been named one of the 100 Top Hospitals in the country by Truven Health Analytics three times.
Rush is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.