Location: Remote opportunity serving students in New York City.
*Must be available for one-time travel to Brooklyn for required finger printing*
Employment Status/hours: Full-time; Monday – Friday (during traditional school hours)
Start date: August 2021
End date: June 2022
Stipend: $23,500 (+ $500 bonus if New York City resident)
Who We Are
Saga Education is a national nonprofit, founded in 2014 and aimed to confront educational inequity to support historically under-served schools and their students. Saga Education has dedicated itself to providing high-dosage, in-school tutoring in partnership with public high schools. Since our founding, Saga Education and our tutoring fellows have served over 17,600 students across Chicago, New York City, Washington D.C., and Broward County.
For more information about Saga Education’s mission, please visit us at www.sagaeducation.org.
The Work and Why It Matters
Nationwide, students are experiencing a significant interruption in their formal education due to COVID-19 and resulting school closures. While educators and students alike have many unprecedented challenges to overcome this upcoming school year, educators report that their top concern is students falling behind in math. This concern is heightened for educators in high poverty districts who teach predominantly black or Latinx students.
Now more than ever we need talented, caring, and capable people committed to supporting our students in their academic and social development. Finding academic interventions that address inequities that historically underserved students face is one of our nation’s most urgent challenges.
Saga offSITE (Social Impact Tutoring Experience) is an online math tutoring opportunity for the 2021-2022 school year. Saga offSITE Math Fellows manage a small cohort of approximately 36 New York City high school students and promote academic success by focusing intently to provide individualized instruction and build strong relationships online during their year of service. During a typical school day, offSITE Fellows will work with six students at a time, three of whom will work independently, and facilitate lessons during six class periods per day. offSITE Fellows will implement Saga’s proprietary curriculum housed on the Woot Math platform. In addition to offering academic support, offSITE Fellows also serve as student advocates and mentors and must build strong, meaningful relationships with their students.
- You will use student data to differentiate math instruction for your students and adapt lesson plans as needed
- You will receive ongoing and consistent observation and feedback, and participate in coaching sessions with your Site Director
- You are expected to connect with student families every two to three weeks by phone, email, or text message
- Due to the nature of remote/virtual learning, you must be prepared to navigate software and troubleshoot technical issues as they arise
- You will work remotely and must have a proactive approach to work in order to complete deliverables on time and maintain proper work-life balance
- You must check and respond to emails daily and regularly consult with your Site Director
- You have an interest in math education and a strong understanding of Algebra and Geometric skills and concepts
- You are passionate about youth development and addressing education inequity
- You are committed to continuous learning and growth, have a strong feedback orientation, and actively seek professional development opportunities
Experience & Qualifications
- You have intermediate computer skills
- You have strong time management skills
- You possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- You have a completed Associate’s degree, or higher, in any discipline
- Prior experience coaching, tutoring, or mentoring students, preferred but not required
- Bilingual candidates are preferred but not required
- Please be aware that you must clear a National Service Criminal History Check and all other security and health requirements set forth by Saga Education and the school district in which you serve before the start of training
- Must be willing for one-time travel to Brooklyn for required finger printing
Saga Education offers a competitive service year stipend, a comprehensive benefits package, as well as opt-in programs such as flexible spending account (FSA) and discounts through Tickets At Work. Company-provided technology is also offered by Saga Education.
Saga Education provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Thank you for applying to Saga Education.