REQUIREMENTS: NJ Teacher of Art Certification
Experience with Ceramics & Airbrush/Painting Required
JOB TITLE: Teacher
REPORTS TO: Principal/Designated Administrator
SUPERVISES: Students, and when assigned, student teachers and classroom aides
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB:
To provide an approved education program and establish a class environment that fosters learning and personal growth; to help students develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to support the opportunity for each student to reach his/her maximum potential and provide the foundation for continued education. The teacher works cooperatively with other staff members, administrators and parents/guardians contributing to the continuous improvement of student learning.
1. Valid New Jersey Instructional Certificate and Subject Area Endorsement or eligibility
2. Demonstrated knowledge of effective teaching methods
3. Ability to maintain a positive learning environment
4. Strong interpersonal and communication skills
5. Provide evidence that a criminal record history check has been conducted and clearance has been given by the Department of Education. During the initial six-month period, provide a sworn statement that there have not been any convictions of a crime or a disorderly person’s offense in accordance with 18A:6-7.1.
6. Provide evidence that health is adequate to fulfill the job functions and responsibilities with reasonable accommodation pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 12101 and in accordance with N.J.A.C. 6:3-4A.4.
7. Pass the State required Mantoux Intradermal Tuberculin Test as required by N.J.A.C. 6:3-4A.4.
8. Meet such alternates to the above qualifications, as the Superintendent may deem appropriate, acceptable and legal.
Salary and work year to be determined by the Board of Education and in accordance with the negotiated agreement with the Scotch Plains-Fanwood Education Association.
1. Works to achieve state core curriculum content standards and district educational goals and objectives by promoting active learning and skills development in the classroom. Teaches students through an approved course of study using board-adopted curricula, textbooks and other appropriate teaching materials.
2. Develops lesson plans that include specific learning objectives and incorporate learning activities that allow for varied curriculum delivery to meet individual student needs.
3. Sets specific objectives wherever possible in lesson preparation and weekly lesson plans and carries through presentation to effectively achieve these objectives.
4. Assesses student academic progress and personal growth toward stated objectives of instruction.
5. Maintains records of student’s educational progress in class record books and/or board approved forms and summarizes these marks for reporting purposes.
6. Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and resolving learning problems.
7. Establishes and maintains clear expectations for classroom management that fosters a safe and caring learning environment conducive to learning.
8. Utilizes instructional time effectively
9. Creates a functional and attractive student-centered environment for learning through displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers as applicable.
10. Communicates with parents/guardians through conferences and other means to inform them about the school program and to discuss student progress.
11. Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities as assigned.
12. Administers student assessment instruments in accordance with district testing policy and program, interprets and utilizes the test data to support instruction.
13. Maintains professional competence and continuous improvement through in-service education and other professional growth activities.
14. Participates in and contributes positively to school-level planning, faculty meetings/committees, Professional Learning Communities and other developmental programs at the school or district level.
15. Makes effective use of community resources to enhance the instructional program.
16. Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations and board policy.
17. Maintains an awareness of new trends and methodology in subject matter content in assigned grade level areas, including the effective use of technology resources to enhance opportunities for student learning.
18. Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.
The Principal and/or designee shall evaluate the Teacher in accordance with Board Policy, this Job Description, and such other criteria as shall be established by the Board of Education.