Security Benefit (SB) is seeking an experienced Staff Accountant to work in its Investment Accounting Department. Security Benefit fosters strong partnerships to provide insightful and customized retirement solutions for employers and individual investors nationwide. Through a broad advisor network and its nationally recognized money managers, SB provides mutual funds, annuities and retirement plans and programs. As an industry leader in service technology, SB affiliates also offer business processing and broker/dealer solutions tailored to the financial services marketplace. This position will work in our office in Overland Park, Kansas and reports to the Investment Accounting Operations Senior Manager.
The Staff Accountant completes investment accounting responsibilities for the Investment Accounting Team, which will include supporting various responsibilities of the team, such as the recording, reporting and analysis of investment activity for the Company’s insurance and other subsidiaries. The Company utilizes BI tools to assist in preparation of investment analysis and schedules for GAAP, statutory, and management reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Account and report on various investments including, but not limited to, debt instruments, equity investments, and derivatives;
- Contribute to the data management process by ensuring appropriate source of information for reporting needs;
- Support re-occurring and ad-hoc reports/dashboards with charts, graphs, tables, infographics, etc. using a variety of data to tell a meaningful story;
- Review and complete investment related journal entries within the general ledger system, PeopleSoft;
- Review and complete a monthly analysis of general ledger reconciliations to underlying investment data from PAM;
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and annual investment related disclosures for audited GAAP and Statutory financial statements;
- Assist in analyzing investment accounting results and communicate with management;
- Complete an assist with various audit related work papers for interim and annual audits and address additional follow-up questions/inquiries via internal or external auditors as they arise;
- Participate in development and changes to areas of responsibility that would enhance, improve or facilitate job performance, process or workflow;
- Work with internal and external sources to assure proper understanding and reporting of financial data, including the Investment Team, Actuarial, and accounting vendors;
- Develop and maintain effective and efficient relationships with internal and external customers as well as business partners;
- Maintain documentation files for investments according to the position’s responsibilities;
- Assist in developing and maintaining a strong internal control environment within the Investment Accounting function;
- Assist in maintaining, testing, and evaluating software upgrades and enhancements; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance;
- Three to five years of accounting experience required, with insurance industry investment accounting experience preferred;
- Familiarity with data visualization-oriented BI tools preferred;
- Knowledge of investments, both fixed-income and equity, as well as, derivative transactions preferred;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the utilization of investment related systems;
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and theories desired;
- Willingness to develop industry related knowledge;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Strong time management skills with the ability to meet critical deadlines;
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Concerned with customer satisfaction and consistently works to provide high level of satisfaction;
- Ability to work independently, make decisions and effectively communicate with all levels of management;
- Strong computer skills including but not limited to MS Office Suite (intermediate Excel skills required);
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft and PAM preferred;
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks; and
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
Consider joining our progressive team in our nationally recognized company. Apply online at www.securitybenefit.com/careers and submit your current resume. EOE
Bachelors or better in Accounting.
Bachelors or better in Finance.
3-5 years: Accounting experience required, with insurance industry investment accounting experience preferred;