Title of Position: Quality Control Technician
Locations: South Plainfield, N.J.
The primary responsibility of the Quality Control Technician is to ensure concrete chemistry and construction projects are in compliance with plans and specifications. This position includes industry testing of concrete consistency, air, water, color, and chemical content. The qualified candidate will be able to communicate with and interact with construction personnel, inspectors, plant managers and drivers concerning the concrete materials used on a particular job.
The Silvi Group Companies have been working on expanding their “A” Team of employees since 1947! Our team has grown to 11 companies employing over 450 employees at 18 locations across New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania. We have developed the Silvi Group Companies by literally building our community, taking on the most complex concrete projects in the region, and becoming a pillar of support for customers throughout our territories.
Our employees contribute directly to our aggressive growth and we enjoy giving back by developing our employees with professional opportunities as well as a comprehensive benefits package. Our benefits includes excellent medical (health, Rx, dental, vision), personal time (vacation, sick, holidays) and a great retirement package. Our close knit environment develops a culture in which we work hard but get to know each and every employee that helps us build our future. If you are driven, creative, and want to see your contributions reflected in real time, come work for us!
Position Essential Functions Responsibilities
Arrives at the plant or job site prior to the first concrete delivery.
- Performs the initial and ongoing testing of aggregate and concrete for gradation, moisture, slump, air content, temperature
- After evaluation of the above factors, maintains contact with plant operations and/or QC, to ensure that necessary adjustments (if required) to the mixture are made.
- When the concrete comes to the job site places some of the batch in cylinders.
- In the lab, performs tests that measure the compressive strength of concrete cylinders.
- Compares that value to the design value to ensure compliance with specifications.
- Communicates information to the appropriate individuals/agencies.
- Directly handles concrete during various testing.
- Industry experience is preferred but not required.
- Some college or further education is preferred but not required.
- Travel with their own vehicle to and from various plants and client locations. Mileage and tolls will be reimbursed.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- Work a wide variety of hours and able to work a flexible schedule as per company and client needs.
- Is able to work overtime hours.
- Works Saturdays and night pours as required.
- Understand the various components that make up the product and how they interact with one another.
- Understand how to troubleshoot the various problems that occur with the product and how to correct them.
- Understand the proper techniques for testing concrete.
- Preferably is ACI Level 1 certified, or willing to undergo paid training and testing to obtain the certification.
- Has a valid driver’s license and is willing to undergo an MVR check.
- Willing to work outdoors, in all weather, to handle the concrete testing on site.
- Lift up to 100 lbs of liquid concrete using a wheelbarrow.
In a typical work setting, people in this job:
- Lift 50 pounds regularly and up to 100 pounds on occasion.
- Use one or two hands to grasp, move, or assemble objects
- Stand for long periods of time.
- Kneel, stoop, crouch, bend, stretch, twist or crawl.
- Hear sounds and recognize the difference between them.
- See details of objects that are less than a few feet away.
- See differences between colors, shades, and brightness.
No smoking is permitted on or within company property, including inside trucks, buildings, or anywhere on the premises.
Medical, Prescription, Dental, Vision, Pension, Short and Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Competitive Pay, Overtime as necessary
The Silvi Group Companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.