Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. With more than 24,100 employees in 64 countries, Solvay bonds people, ideas, and elements to reinvent progress. The Group seeks to create sustainable shared value for all, notably through its Solvay One Planet plan crafted around three pillars: protecting the climate, preserving resources, and fostering better life. The Group’s innovative solutions contribute to safer, cleaner, and more sustainable products found in homes, food and consumer goods, planes, cars, batteries, smart devices, health care applications, water, and air purification systems. Founded in 1863, Solvay today ranks among the world’s top three companies for the vast majority of its activities and delivered net sales of €10.2 billion in 2019. Solvay is listed on Euronext Brussels (SOLB) and Paris and in the United States, where its shares (SOLVY) are traded through a Level I ADR program.
The global business unit (GBU) of Technology Solutions in Solvay is a global leader in specialty mining reagents, phosphine-based chemistry, and solutions for the UV stabilization of polymers. Its portfolio includes world-class, leading-edge technologies, and unrivaled technical service and applications expertise that support our customers in developing tailor-made solutions, in particular for mining, where Solvay’s products allow customers to extract metal concentrates from increasingly more complex and depleted ores.
Job Title: Co-op intern for Mining Solutions Research & Innovation (R&I)
Contract Time: 12 months
Full Time: Yes
Site: Stamford, CT
BASIC PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The primary purpose of this position is to assist in the development of new specialty and sustainable reagents in the Mining Solutions R&I team for use in the mining industry. This position has the responsibility to carry out laboratory test work under the supervision of senior scientists on a daily basis. This position will also require the abilities of data analysis, report writing, and oral presentation to clearly communicate with the project teams and scientists. During the internship, the student will acquire broader industry knowledge, and learn the research and development (R&D) methodology to develop innovative and sustainable products.
● Perform laboratory activities under the supervision of lead scientists, including test substrate and chemical reagent preparation, carrying out the lab test work according to standard operating procedures (SOP), analytical sample preparationsubmission, and operating lab instruments for application testing (heating oven, water bath, mass balance, viscometer, pH meter, flotation cell, Parr reactor etc.).
● Document lab observations and results, analyze the data together with scientists, and effectively communicate them to the project team.
● Understand and follow key Solvay safety policies and procedures for the site, including but not limited to the following:
○ Lab safety awareness and guidelines
○ Emergency Response / Evacuation Guidelines
○ Housekeeping and 5S practices in the laboratory
Education, Skills, and Experiences
● Third year or final year college students, or Master’s students with majors in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, or Mineral Processing/Extractive Metallurgy.
● Good hands-on skills for chemistry/application laboratory testing is preferred
● High safety awareness
● Ability to communicate to multiple stakeholders – verbal and written
● Ability to work independently and in a team setting
○ Good organization skills
○ Good prioritization skills
○ Attention to detail
● Prior industry internship experience is preferred