As an Environmental intern you will have the opportunity to support the Department responsible for ensuring the overall environmental compliance for the Company and enhancing sustainability efforts while being recognized by the business as a solution partner in resolving challenges and in identifying, prioritizing, and mitigating risk.
This typically includes ensuring the systems are effectively designed, implemented, and controlled, highlighting significant areas of risk to management and proposing solutions. These roles works with site-specific safety professionals and project teams to ensure project jobsites are compliant with both internal and external requirements. Additionally, this involves data analysis, trending, and recommendations in support of continuous improvement. This includes establishing metrics, targets, reporting process, and standards to improve ways of working to strengthen and maintain excellence in environmental compliance. These roles serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on environmental and technical matters with environmental regulatory agencies and maintains awareness of changes to applicable regulations and ensure site changes are made to meet regulations including EPA, NEPA, DOT, and other governing bodies.
Roles within Environmental are responsible for examining all decisions on risk management issues that directly impact the strategic direction of the company. This involves overseeing policies, processes, people and systems, partnering with business leaders to identify and mitigate financial, operational, legal, regulatory and reputational risks. Roles within this group work on developing and conducting risk assessments, documenting processes, workflows, recommendations and field work. Within SJI, this includes overseeing other areas encompassing Risk, Facilities, Operations, Security, Environmental and Insurance.
Roles and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Performing assigned tasks (under close supervision) that support day-to-day activities within the specific job family
- Following appropriate methods and techniques in performing tasks
- Planning and organizing details with guidance
- Using established data, reports and previous results to identify inappropriate variances and concerns. Reporting inconsistent results to supervisor
- Participating in group meetings. Possibly presenting data or preparing for others to present
This role will learn to use professional concepts and apply company policies and procedures to resolve routine issues. You will work on problems of limited scope and follow standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data from which answers can be readily obtained. Additionally, you will build stable working relationships internally.
It is expected that your role applies basic skills to complete assigned work within own group/project team. You will receive detailed instructions on all work.
Additionally, the level and nature of interaction of your role includes:
- Working under direct guidance on a component of a job, interacting primarily within the job family
This is a role that contributes through own efforts and application of expertise, skills, or tasks.
- Students pursuing a degree in Environmental Studies, Biology, Environmental, Civil or Mechanical Engineering
- The ideal candidate would be an entering sophomore through Senior year but all students are welcome for consideration.
- Familiarity with standard Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Excellent computer skills, a professional demeanor, with a strong sense of commitment and the ability to evaluate complex information.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proactive problem solver skilled at issue resolution
- Very well organized and detail oriented
- Extremely adept at follow through
- A strong customer orientation
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a short period of time and work in a fast-paced environment
- Independent, disciplined, self-motivated and results driven