Title: Part-Time Special Education Instructional Assistant (29 hours of work per week)
Location: Elementary (K-3)
Position Status: 10-Month
Reports to: Building Principal
Salary/Benefits: Minimum $20.25 per hour. Limited paid leave benefits (sick, personal days). These positions do not include health insurance.
The Southern Lehigh School District is accepting applications for Special Education Instructional Assistants beginning in the 2020-2021 school year. The qualified candidate will have experience supporting students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) in an elementary (K-3) school setting. Specific experience working in special education and with students with disabilities highly preferred. Knowledge of academic support and positive behavior support techniques is desired. Experience implementing specially designed instruction. Must exhibit the personal characteristics that will promote student success in a supportive school climate. The successful candidate will have excellent communication, organizational and collaboration skills, and demonstrated ability to build relationships with students and teaching staff. Motivated to support students in a 1:1 technology rich school environment is preferred. Experience integrating technology and assistive technology is also preferred.
Qualifications and Materials Needed:
- Proof of an Associate Degree or at least two years of post secondary study (completion of 48 credits) or
- High School Diploma/GED Equivalent and the presentation of a “Credential of Competency” for Special Education Paraeducators in Pennsylvania certificate as issued by PDE
Pre-Employment Background Checks and Physical:
The following background checks (clearances) are also required. Information on how to obtain these clearances can be found at www.slsd.org > employment > background checks (clearances).
- PA Child Abuse History (must be within the past year)
- PA State Criminal History Check (must be within the past year)
- Federal Criminal History Record (must be within the past year)
- Successful candidates will be required to submit a pre-employment physical with TB skin test or IGRA blood test used in the detecting of Mycobacterium tuberculosis will also be needed.
Additional Supportive Credentials:
- Professional Development training relating to supporting Special Education / IEP students
- CPR/First Aid Training
- Crisis response training
Requirements requisite to perform the functions/duties/responsibilities listed above:
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, lift, reach, communicate (vision, hearing, and speech), carry or convey sufficient weight to safely and effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
- Ability to independently ambulate in and around school buildings, locations associated with school events and field trips and office areas.
- Ability to lift, position, transport and maneuver students as needed.
Southern Lehigh School District is located approximately 1 hour north of Philadelphia and 15 minutes south of Allentown. Southern Lehigh is committed to educational excellence and dedicated to developing in each student a passion for learning.
Please complete an online application and attach available supporting documentation. Prospective applicants must be prepared to submit transcripts and required background checks that are valid no more than one year from the date of issue.
Application Deadline: July 30, 2021.
This posting may be closed or removed at any time.
Application required fields must be completed in full to be considered.
Southern Lehigh School District shall not discriminate in their educational programs, activities or employment practices based on race, color, national origin, sex (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, ancestry or any other legally protected classification. This policy is in accordance with state and federal laws, including Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act. For further information, contact: Title IX Officer, Southern Lehigh School District, 5775 Main Street, Center Valley, PA 18034.