Springer Nature opens the doors to discovery for researchers, educators, clinicians and other professionals. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals, platforms and technology solutions reach millions of people. For over 175 years our brands and imprints have been a trusted source of knowledge to these communities and today, more than ever, we see it as our responsibility to ensure that fundamental knowledge can be found, verified, understood and used by our communities – enabling them to improve outcomes, make progress, and benefit the generations that follow. Visit: group.springernature.com and follow @SpringerNature
Job Title: Business Development Manager, Strategic Partnerships
Location: New York
Nature Portfolio, a division of Springer Nature, is looking to appoint a Business Development Manager, Strategic Partnerships to its North American team based in New York. The Strategic Partnerships team works with leadership at universities, research institutes and government organizations, selling solutions from our portfolio to help them maximize their impact, raise awareness, promote research excellence and highlight achievements and areas of innovation.
As a Business Development Manager, Strategic Partnerships you will be responsible for building relationship with senior-level officials at institutions and with key internal stakeholders to tailor and deliver bespoke solutions that meet the customer’s needs and create value. You will develop both new and existing products and solutions to meet the growing needs of science research related institutions, helping them to increase their standing and exposure to the scientific community by drawing on the full range of Nature Portfolio capabilities and services.
The ideal candidate will have a significant number of years of consultative sales experience, a proven ability to drive new sales and achieve sales quotas and in-depth understanding of scientific research and the scientific publishing process. A proficiency in account planning, and excellent communication and project management skills are also essential.
- Drive sales growth by expanding the portfolio of customers, products and markets.
- Liaise with clients and internal stakeholders to create, negotiate and close proposals.
- Develop strategic territory plan and maintain a healthy sales pipeline.
- Understand client needs, make recommendations for new ideas and develop appropriate proposals for products and services that meet identified client needs.
- Develop and maintain awareness/understanding of market, products, competitors and trends; demonstrate this knowledge when interacting with clients and internal teams.
- Serve as an industry expert; including active participation in the scholarly community, attending industry events and communicating relevant industry trends and best practices to clients – that ultimately create demand.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with internal stakeholders in editorial, marketing, production and technology departments to ensure solutions are executed on time, on budget and to the customer’s full satisfaction.
- Work closely with members of other Commercial sales teams to ensure that customer relationships are fully leveraged for all revenue types.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of consultative sales experience, preferably in STM publishing’s academic, non-profit or government markets to senior executives
- Self-motivated and willing to continuously improve
- Personable and detail-oriented with strong communication (written and verbal), organizational and time management skills
- Excellent conversation and presentation skills, with an ability to quickly establish rapport and effectively react in dynamic, customer-facing situations
- Proven ability to understand and quickly acquire in-depth knowledge of multiple product lines, carefully analyze customer needs and fashion bespoke solutions that meet those needs and create value
- Proven ability to drive new sales, achieve quotas and increase year to year revenue
- Ability to work on complex contract negotiations and proposal development
- Strong project management skills with an ability to collaborate within a complex team environment to execute projects
- Strong computer and research skills
- Ability to travel as needed
If you are an internal applicant please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.