SSM Health is a Catholic, not-for-profit health system serving the comprehensive health needs of communities across the Midwest through a robust and fully integrated health care delivery system. The organization’s nearly 40,000 employees and 11,000 providers are committed to providing exceptional health care services and revealing God’s healing presence to everyone they serve.
With care delivery sites in Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma and Wisconsin, SSM Health includes 23 hospitals, more than 290 physician offices and other outpatient and virtual care services, 10 post-acute facilities, comprehensive home care and hospice services, a pharmacy benefit company, a health insurance company and an accountable care organization. It is one of the largest employers in every community it serves.
An engaging, collaborative, and mission-driven internship in one of the largest healthcare systems in the region. This is an opportunity for a bachelor’s level student to gain hands-on experience for a minimum of 15 hours per week. You will gain these experiences through project work, executive exposure, and shadowing. Additionally, this internship provides opportunities to better understand the complexities of healthcare operations, management, and facilities. You will gain unique exposure in driving improvement to achieve sustainable results in a myriad of healthcare environments.
Provides research, analysis and documentation support for projects assigned, while gaining a better understanding of how to handle the complex issues of healthcare operations, management and business needs of the organization.
- Work closely with preceptor and/or members of leadership team on assigned projects related to strategy, operations and/or other assigned/identified projects. Completes special projects as delegated by preceptor.
- Engages in research, data analysis, project management and/or administrative assistance for initiatives and projects, as assigned. Contributes actively by collaborating with other team members and providing input, recommendations and constructive feedback.
- Performs department-specific duties and responsibilities in a training capacity. Identifies and uses internal and external support/resources to accomplish work goals.
- Performs work assignments in support of ministry and/or departmental goals in an accurate and timely manner. Seeks ways to continuously improve processes and outcomes and effectively communicates proposals for solutions.
- Ensures positive internal and external customer relations by providing prompt response to customer requests, maintaining confidentiality and communicating effectively.
- Assist in the development of presentations and/or strategic communication to support department and/or entity wide strategic initiatives.
- Meets with administrative and management staff to gain a better understanding of each area and attends various administrative, managerial and medical staff meetings, as invited.
- Observe and learn aspects of healthcare operations, strategy and other relevant areas, with guidance from the preceptor.
- Seeks professional development feedback from administrators, mentors and other colleagues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Official transcript and documentation of enrollment in a related Bachelor’s degree program at an accredited university in their Junior or Senior year
- No experience required
- Frequent lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects weighing 0-25 lbs.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, reaching and repetitive foot/leg and hand/arm movements.
- Frequent use of vision and depth perception for distances near (20 inches or less) and far (20 feet or more) and to identify and distinguish colors.
- Frequent use of hearing and speech to share information through oral communication. Ability to hear alarms, malfunctioning machinery, etc.
- Frequent keyboard use/data entry.
- Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, twisting and gripping.
- Occasional lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects weighing 25-50 lbs.
- Rare climbing.
SSM Health is committed to equal employment opportunity based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, and all other statuses protected by law.