Our Spring 2022 Engineering Co-Op program lasts from January 3, 2022 to June 24, 2022 at our Boston, MA headquarters. As temporary full-time Starry employees, Co-Ops receive accrued vacation time in addition to paid holidays. Our Mechanical Engineering Co-Ops continue to be onsite at our headquarters with COVID-19 precautions in place, but some Co-Ops have the option to be fully remote. We also offer housing assistance to those outside the Boston metropolitan area, so we encourage students from all over the US to apply!
Position Overview: This role will support design, assembly, and test activities in an environment that encourages personal growth in a context of expanding company capabilities and challenges. Starry is working on communications equipment (some consumer but mainly capital equipment) where there is a great blend of electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. The role will be design intensive with plenty of learning opportunities. The opportunity to take on design, analysis, prototype and test responsibilities is only limited by the co-op’s curiosity level.
- Solidworks: Students should have a solid working knowledge of the program. We’re looking for someone who can start to add value – at least on relatively simple models and assemblies – on day one.
- Drawings: Integral to Solidworks, but its own category as it is a critical component of our needs. Candidate should have at least some prior experience with drawings. A basic understanding of tolerance stackup and analysis is also desirable.
- Fabrication: Students should have familiarity with fabrication methodologies such as machining, casting and sheet metal forming along with general material properties. Also, previous experience with design for in-house 3-D printing is a plus. Must have the ability to support fabrication and assembly of parts, in labs and in the field.
- Flexibility, Adaptability: We are a startup and that means that whatever tasks are at hand are the ones that need to be done, sometimes outside our native discipline.
- Eagerness: This is a small enterprise packed with intelligent, motivated people – the opportunities to learn both in ME execution and also in parallel areas – Firmware, Software, EE, Product Development, Marketing, etc. are immense. Hopefully, a successful coop will be eager to soak it all up.