Start Small Think Big (Start Small) is a not-for-profit organization that aims to help under-resourced entrepreneurs build and sustain thriving businesses in order to increase their personal financial security and stimulate economic activity in underserved communities. Start Small targets entrepreneurs and small business owners who possess the fundamental building blocks to sustain viable businesses but lack the resources to afford or otherwise access professional expertise. Start Small provides our clients with ongoing access to free small business legal, financial and marketing assistance. The Fall Intern will work collaboratively with Start Small’s Client Relationship and Impact Assessment Managers and program staff to support programs through research, client follow up, and maintaining records and client facing resources. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, be passionate about data, and have strong analytical, creative, and problem-solving skills.
Job Responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct phone interviews with program participants and assist in the collection of surveys.
- Help to maintain and validate Start Small’s impact data/ client database.
- Research and compile reports/ resource lists to provide accurate and up-to date guides for entrepreneurs on a variety of relevant topics, both within our home office areas as well as in our new nationally-expanding locations.
- Help to identify new collaborative relationships and community partners both within our home office states, as well as across the country.
- Research, review, and summarize reports, articles, and publications from peer reviewed journals, and relevant institutions and bodies related to Start Small’s sector and key research questions.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Current student with a concentration in research, evaluation, non-profit management, public policy or other related disciplines.
- Experience conducting in person and phone interviews, excellent communication skills with multiple stakeholders, comfortable communicating on the phone.
- Excellent attention to detail. Highly organized and analytical.
- Commitment to inclusive community/economic development, social and economic justice work, and/or anti-poverty work.
- Client facing communication – drafting client facing documents and conducting calls
- Professional communication – presentations to staff
- Project management – learning to manage deadlines and working collaboratively with staff
- Database management – learning to analyze and use data to inform organizational decisions
TO APPLY: Submit your resume and a one-page cover letter to: Maneesha Bhugwansing, Impact Assessment Manager at email@example.com (include subject line: “[your name] Client Relationship & Program Evaluation Intern.”
This position is unpaid, but may be used for course credit where appropriate. Minimum 10-15 hours/week. Work will be conducted remotely, and hours are flexible. The targeted start date is October 1, but the start date is flexible. Start Small Think Big is an equal opportunity employer with a standing policy of nondiscrimination. This means that all qualified persons are accorded an equal opportunity for employment or promotion without regard to actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibility, personal appearance, genetic information, matriculation, or political affiliation.