Steer is an international transportation planning consulting firm that advises clients in the public and private sectors on infrastructure investments, strategic planning, traffic and revenue studies, service development and business strategy. We have a well-earned reputation for delivering thoughtful and innovative analysis of the highest quality and providing an independent perspective on a wide range of transportation issues.
Our North American team is actively seeking high-caliber individuals with a good academic background, strong people and organization skills and a passion for changing the world! Working in a full-time role, you will immediately become involved in real project and proposal work from day one. As an entry-level consultant, you will be expected to deliver the full range of consultancy work and develop your consultancy skills through a combination of on-the-job learning as well as a development and mentoring program. Entry-level consultants tend to focus in three main areas, transportation economics, transportation planning and/or transportation analysis, which each build on different skills as seen below.
During our Graduate Support Program, you will work together with our team of industry experts and receive a personalized development program focusing on industry knowledge, consultancy skills, technical training beyond your focus area, project management and core business skills. We are always looking for gifted, motivated graduates to join our Graduate Support Program so if you are considering your future and are looking for somewhere to make a real difference, Steer has much to offer.
- Participate on a multidisciplinary team to tackle complex transport and city planning problems
- Complete research, analyze data, generate and evaluate options to identify solutions for our clients
- Support consultation on ideas with the client, stakeholders and the public
- Perform quantitative analysis to support a range of transport business cases, policy, and strategy projects using Excel, modelling and analytical applications
- Report writing to document analysis, evaluation and project outcomes
- Support proposal/business development efforts
- A recent Bachelor’s degree with all subjects considered, preferably with a quantitative or research element included. Bachelor’s degrees in engineering, transportation, economics, or planning or Master’s degrees would be an asset, but not essential.
- Passionate about transportation and behavior change
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Transportation Economist: Experience with econometrics, general statistical analysis, spreadsheet modeling (Excel including VBA), financial analysis skills or econometric software (e.g. R, Stata, EViews). Knowledge and experience with applied microeconomics (e.g cost-benefit analysis) or preparing 3-statement models would be advantageous
- Transportation Planner: Experience with Geographic Information System (GIS), Adobe Creative Cloud would be advantageous but are not required
- Transportation Analyst: Experience with statistical analysis (Python, R, Stata) is a plus; and experience with technical tools commonly used in the transportation industry such as spreadsheet modeling (Excel including VBA), GIS, or network modeling would be advantageous but are not required
- Strong analytical, writing and communication skills
- Highly motivated, proactive and a critical thinker
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Ability to learn quickly and be willing to solve problems involving new situations
- Transportation-related work or research experience is an asset
We believe in empowering our people and giving them the opportunities to shine. Being an employee-owned company means that our people are dedicated and passionate about what they do, and it is the reason why we are at the forefront of our industry.
Steer values a diverse workplace and actively encourages women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people from working-class backgrounds, foreign-born people, and veterans to apply.