A Research Chemist in the Synthesis Group provides organic chemistry knowledge and synthesis expertise to the execution of both short- and long-term strategic projects for the company. The Research Chemist will conduct synthesis, chemistry development, and preliminary process research to enable the evaluation of new products and new processes relevant to our Business Units and Corporate Strategies. The Research Chemist will develop initial business cases (white papers) for long term initiatives to help populate the innovation portfolio while collaborating between various functional groups to enable the project’s success.
Additional duties and responsibilities include:
• Organic synthesis and analysis
• Interdepartmental collaboration on requests and technical projects
• Conceives of projects and ideas to contribute to company growth
• Independently develop the strategy for the overall project load
• Effective and timely communication of results to internal and external customers
• Actively participate in safety/ waste program and steadfastly adhere to policies/standards.
• Broad experience in the synthesis, purification, and analytical characterization of organic compounds
• Strong organizational, people and communication skills.
• Strong writing skills.
• Strong initiative and desire to work in a team environment
• Experience in business development, material science, surfactant synthesis, and/or colloid-interfacial science is beneficial but not required.
• PhD in Organic Chemistry or related field with 0-5 years industry experience
Established in 1932, Stepan Company is a major manufacturer of basic and intermediate chemicals including surfactants, polymers, as well as specialty ingredients that go into consumer, household, and institutional products such as laundry detergents, shampoos, and surface cleaners. Stepan Company currently has 20 global manufacturing locations and over 2,000 employees. We have a strong record of growth. Our growth allows us to provide meaningful career opportunities and stability to our team members. We have big goals at Stepan and know every team member will be crucial to achieving our objectives. Regardless of function, we are looking for team members who bring with them a growth mindset, an entrepreneurial spirit, and the ability to thrive in an evolving environment.
We celebrate diversity at Stepan and are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.