To save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.
Each member of the Komen North Jersey team is responsible for doing whatever it takes to ensure that the organization is successful. We share responsibility for leadership, creativity, dynamic communication and finding solutions. Additionally, each member will provide colleagues with the support and information they need to succeed in their jobs.
An internship with Komen North Jersey is an excellent way to enhance your college experience and prepare you for entry into the professional world. As an intern, you will have the opportunity to interact with both nonprofit and corporate professionals, attend community events, gain insight to the sales and fundraising process and build project management, communications and interpersonal skills.
Our Komen North Jersey interns are a critical part of helping our small team meet goals and execute initiatives. Interns will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge of nonprofit organizations while contributing to the work we do locally to save lives and end breast cancer forever. Expectations are high and responsibilities are broad. Interns will be assigned projects in support all areas of Affiliate operations, including but not limited to marketing and communications, development & fundraising efforts, mission outreach, breast health/cancer education and advocacy, volunteer engagement and operations management. Projects will vary based on upcoming events and initiatives. Depending on an intern’s experience and interest, opportunities will be provided to focus on a specific area of Affiliate operations.
Internships are available for the spring (Jan – May), summer (June – August) and fall (Sept – Dec) semesters. Applications should be submitted at least three months prior to the start of the semester of interest.
• Achieve development goals through diligent pipeline research, outreach to prospects and cultivation of donors
• Bolster database information through research and data input; maintain database integrity
• Develop marketing and communication materials with compelling information and messaging
• Develop and manage social media content
• With training from the Affiliate, assist with education and outreach programs in the community, with emphasis on the African American community in Newark
• Attend meetings and events as requested
• Provide administrative support with correspondence, customer service, filing, data entry and event logistics
• Other tasks as assigned
• Rising junior or senior undergraduate student, or a graduate student enrolled in a college or university
• Must be able to work a minimum of 20 hours per week for the length of the semester; interns are encouraged to
attend bi-weekly staff meetings on Wednesday mornings
• Must attend an intern onboarding training
• Must have a valid driver’s license and appropriate motor vehicle insurance and be able to commute to Parsippany and other locations as needed
• Excellent verbal & writing communication, customer service and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated leadership capabilities and ability to prioritize and problem-solve
• Strong time-management, organization and research skills
• Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office suite. Experience in Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, Hootsuite and databases preferred
• Experience with all social media platforms
• Ability to work well under pressure in fast-paced work environments with minimal supervision
Additional Core Competencies
• Demonstrate creativity, flexibility and resilience
• Strategic and generative thinking
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Ability to work collaboratively and cross-functionally
• Passion for Komen’s mission and working with volunteers
• Ability to represent Komen North Jersey in an exemplary, professional manner at all levels of engagement
Komen North Jersey provides an accessible office location with free parking, access to an on-site café and an excellent work environment. As a team we support one another, promote fair treatment and inclusively of others. As a Komen North Jersey team member, you may interact with Affiliate Board of Directors, Komen Headquarters Staff, corporate and media sponsors, survivors, volunteers, donors and potential donors, vendors and the general public.