SMMA has an exciting opportunity for an entry-level electrical designer to work on stimulating projects at our Cambridge office. SMMA is an integrated design firm that unites a dynamic mix of architects, engineers, interior designers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts, driven to provide responsible, well-crafted, venturesome, and beautiful design solutions to clients in the Boston area and beyond. United by a common purpose, we thrive on cross-discipline collaboration and welcome good ideas from wherever they come.
The entry-level electrical designer will assist the Lead Electrical Engineer in the development of plans and specifications for projects of various types and applications. A balance of technical, communication and organizational skills is needed for this role as well as an inquiring mind that thrives in an ever-changing electrical field.
We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth. Working alongside a project leader, the entry-level electrical designer will be encouraged to provide new ideas and share knowledge that will advance each project, the firm’s mission, and their professional careers.
- Assist mid and senior-level engineers develop electrical construction documents (e.g. power distribution, lighting, and fire alarm systems) for commercial, workplace, laboratories, and institutional projects.
- Performing production for senior engineers using Revit and AutoCAD.
- Create and modify details tailored for each project.
- Participate in construction administration activities such as reviewing submittals and performing construction punch lists.
- Engage in technical discussions with the project lead or as part of a project team meeting.
- Review plans with all disciplines to ensure development of well-coordinated construction documents.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Proficient with MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong work ethic.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- 1-2 years of experience in building electrical systems using Revit and AutoCAD.
- Basic knowledge and fundamental understanding of electrical systems (e.g., power distribution, lighting, and fire alarm) and applications.
- Eagerly pursuing Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certification.
About the Firm
SMMA remains one of the area’s most unique design firms due to its composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since its incorporation in 1955, the firm focuses on creating lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
The firm was founded by MIT alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, SMMA continues its dedication to a flexible integrated approach while remaining guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence and social responsibility.
SMMA is organized into five studios of market focus: Corporate and Commercial, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Science and Technology. At SMMA, studios represent specialized communities of practice working together to foster knowledge flow around common interests. Together, the firm’s studios form a larger design ecosystem, sharing best practices and nurturing professional growth and project excellence.
Please note: SMMA does not offer H-1B visa sponsorship for this position.