The TWM Black and LatinX Educator Fellowship
Representation matters. Here in Springfield and Holyoke, Black and LatinX students need teachers that mirror their experience and identity. They need educators who see and understand them in ways beyond lessons, classes, and homework, now, more than ever.
Research shows us that teachers of color can increase the graduation rates of their students of color by 39%. Our teachers have the opportunity to teach in ways that empower and uplift their students to put them on the path to success in school and beyond.
Teach Western Mass believes that the teachers our students need are in our communities. Perhaps they already have classroom experience or are looking for a career change. The problem is that the barriers of entry into the teaching profession are too high. TWM is committed to breaking down those barriers for Black and LatinX aspiring teachers.
The TWM Black and LatinX Educator Fellowship (BLEF) is a regional cohort of Black or LatinX teachers. Beginning with the application process, fellows receive individualized support and resources that continue throughout training, their first year of teaching, and beyond, including:
- Signing Bonuses
- Funding to help cover cost-of-living expenses during summer training
- Support and resources to prepare for certification exams (MTELS); including testing vouchers to partially offset the cost of exams
- Tuition grants and scholarships, awarded dependent on good standing in the program and other conditions
- Professional development opportunities including trainings in Anti-Racist and Culturally Responsive pedagogy; and engagement with Affinity Groups
- Networking with a supportive community of new and established Black and LatinX educators, including access to the TWM alumni network and community supports.
Our fellowship is open to Black and LatinX educators who are accepted into the Teach Western Mass Residency or the Certified Teacher program. All fellows share a commitment to teaching long-term in our communities.
Once you apply to the Teach Western Mass Residency or the Certified Teacher Program you are invited to apply to BLEF.
We have been working hard to improve our schools -but we need to do even more to ensure all of our students get the quality education they deserve. We need your help to make this vision a reality. Join us in this work here in Western Massachusetts! Apply today: https://bit.ly/3m1pyw9
Reach out to email@example.com or (413) 203-9534 with questions.