The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (“Foundation”) believes that the arts and humanities are where we express our complex humanity, and we believe that everyone deserves the beauty, transcendence, and freedom to be found there. Through our grants, we seek to build just communities enriched by meaning and empowered by critical thinking, where ideas and imagination can thrive. It makes grants in four core program areas (Higher Learning, Arts and Culture, Public Knowledge, and Humanities in Place). The Foundation seeks a Data Visualization Analyst to join the Data Management Team.
The overarching goal for Foundation operations is to enable efficient, collaborative, and impactful work both within the Foundation and with our broader community, work that is consistent with our social justice mission. The Data Management team works to achieve this through the management and configuration of the Foundation’s grants management system, Fluxx, and its associated workflows and processes. The Data Management team also strives to leverage the learnings of the Foundation by classifying, analyzing, and reporting on grant information.
This new role will help the Foundation define and execute on its business intelligence and data visualization needs through the development of reports, visual analytics, and dashboards, focused primarily on grantmaking information. Successful candidates for this role must have critical thinking skills, be creative, curious, resourceful, and have a passion for conveying a wide range of information through polished and engaging reports and visuals.
The Data Visualization Analyst will report to the Director of Grant Information Systems (“Director”) and partner with staff from across the Foundation including, Institutional Research, Communications, Operations, Information Technology, and program staff.
The responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Identify internal and external data visualization and reporting needs, in collaboration with the Director, Institutional Research, Communications, and program teams.
- Fulfill data visualization and reporting needs across the Foundation through the development of intuitive, engaging, insightful, and attractive dashboards and visualizations in Power BI, or other data visualization tools. Kinds of visuals may include information on grant type, organizations, program strategies, grant activities and subjects, grantee locations and activity settings, as well as, grant products or outcomes.
- Prepare data visualizations and summarize key takeaways for presentations and reports, including grantmaking visuals presented to the Board and data visualizations for external sources.
- Clean and organize large datasets, primarily from the Fluxx secondary database, for analysis and visualization; verify and ensure accuracy, integrity, and consistency of data.
- Understand the implications of data, and interpret data in context, including identifying trends and outliers.
- Collaborate with the Director, Information Technology, and Operations staff to conduct comprehensive reviews of organization-wide data.
- Help with the selection and roll-out of data visualization tools and dashboards.
· Respond to ad-hoc requests for grant-related information and data visualizations.
- Assist the Director with the maintenance of the Foundation’s grant classification framework, data mapping, and the publication of the Foundation’s grant data externally.
- Assist the Data Management team with the development of Fluxx reports and system configuration and testing.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Director.
- Keep abreast of best practices in the use of technology in data visualization and evaluation and participate in relevant professional organizations for professional development.
Required Skills and Experience:
The successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
· A bachelor’s degree in data science, statistics, or a related field, Master’s degree preferred.
· 5+ years of professional experience in a research and data visualization environment.
· Expertise building and creating engaging and effective dashboards and data visualizations with common visualization tools such as Power BI and Tableau.
· Experience working with multiple data systems, large relational databases, and SQL.
· Knowledge of statistical analysis, modeling, and tools such as R, STATA, SPSS, and Crystal Reports.
· Excellent visual skills and experience working with communications and branding professionals.
· Creative vision, a passion for learning and willingness to adopt and share new ideas.
· Excellent communication skills, with the ability to work with a wide variety of departments.
· Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, with a careful attention to detail.
· Simultaneous ability to work as a member of a team and to work independently, and the ability to function effectively under uncertainty.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions.