The New York Academy of Sciences’ Afterschool STEM Mentoring Program (ASMP) matches scientists with afterschool and summer school sites throughout the five boroughs. Through this program, students meet and interact with real scientists, and participate in hands-on, engaging science activities. For the Summer 2021 semester, the Academy will be offering two curricula of STEM activities.
NYAS ASMP scientist mentors will facilitate all activities virtually with in-person support from summer camp staff at the summer campsite.
Summer Application is due June 13th
Email: email@example.com for mentors interested in the Fall 2021 term
ASMP Mentors gain
- Science communication and leadership skills
- Mentoring and teaching experience
- Opportunities to network and participate in professional development events
- A stronger connection to their community
- Receive a $500 stipend
- Membership to NYAS
Training sessions begin: June 26th
Site Matches and lab materials are sent out: July 1st
Summer Sessions run from July 5th – 20th
Note: All Mentor training sessions will be entirely virtual.
Mentors have the option of one of the three training sessions held virtually on
Saturday, June 26, 2021, from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM,
Wednesday, June 30, 2021, from 3:30 PM to 5:00 PM, or
Thursday, July 1, 2021, from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM
Meetings & Events
Orientations and planning sessions and mentors STEM classroom will all be conducted virtually.
Participants are required to attend the following:
- Late June: One 1.5hour ASMP Mentor Training session
- Early August: One 60-minute Mid-point check-in
- July 5th – August 20th: Following school schedules; Matched mentors will commit to facilitating 10 sessions.
- 60min labs/ once a week, over the course of 7 – 10 weeks. and complete a weekly feedback form (approx. 2-min.)
- August 20th: We’ll share highlights from term & ask mentors to complete a 5-min exit survey
Check-ins and Reporting
Participants will check in regularly with the Program Manager regarding the progress of class planning and implementation.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions along the way