Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks an experienced, quality-oriented outdoor leader to supervise, educate and inspire the 12 members of the SCA Adirondack Corps. The Adirondack Corps is based at the Whitney Headquarters in Long Lake, NY on Little Tupper Lake.
Program Dates: April 19th – October 22nd, 2021
The SCA Adirondack Corps Project Leader plays a crucial role in the success of the program, working closely with the Conservation Coordinator to train, supervise and support crew members completing technical trail and conservation projects throughout the 6 million acre Adirondack State Park. Typical projects include: new trail construction, timber bridge construction, removal of invasive vegetation, ﬁre tower restoration, stone structure construction, and general trail maintenance. The Adirondack Corps works in partnership with the New York State Department of Conservation (DEC) and AmeriCorps.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
· Lead and manage work outcomes and crew interpersonal dynamics
· Facilitate team operations: food planning/purchasing, tools and equipment, vehicles
· Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
· Travel to backcountry work locations to support projects and camp with teams as needed
· Supervise and assist the outdoor work skills training of corps members
· Manage the quality and technique of the work performed (e.g. trail improvement, carpentry, rigging, felling, stone and rustic timber construction projects, fire tower restoration at height)
· Actively manage risk in accordance with SCA protocols to maintain a safe work environment for program participants
· Promote leadership development within team and evaluate member success & potential
· Manage relationships with agency partners
· Work collaboratively with agency partners on program logistics
· Ensure successful and timely completion of work projects
· Assist SCA Program Coordinator to complete required program reporting and documentation
· Assist SCA Program Manager and Coordinator in budget management and reconciliation
· Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures
· Represent SCA and AmeriCorps in a positive and professional manner
· Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
· Previous trail construction experience and the knowledge and ability to perform trail construction and maintenance work in both wilderness and non-wilderness settings.
· Prior experience in supervising young adults in an outdoor, backcountry setting.
· Wilderness First Responder/CPR certiﬁcation
· Excellent communication and leadership skills, strong work ethic are required.
· Self-starter, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Able to carry heavy loads up to 50 pounds and be able to work in outdoor environment exposed to the elements including camping and hiking for extended periods of time. Up to 5-10 days per hitch.
· Ability to meet SCA and AmeriCorps criminal background check (non-vulnerable population) standards
· Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
· Must have personal vehicle, mileage will be reimbursed at $0.50/mile if use of personal vehicle is required for work
· Have working knowledge of safely operating power and hand-tools.
· Chainsaw experience and certiﬁcation required
· Rigging/Grip hoist experience required
· Completion of an SCA Work Skills Session preferred
Compensation: $937.50/week total salary, Housing provided, and meals provided after member arrival. Tents and group gear provided for backcountry work projects.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line. This is the only way for us to know your application has been submitted.
Application review begins February 2021.