Virtual Project Leader Training: 6/21/2021 to 6/25/2021
Leader season start on site: 6/30/2021
Member season start: 7/6/2021
Leader end date: 8/18/2021
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire with the 2021 Virgin Island Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) Leader.
The 2021 Virgin Island YCC Leader will coordinate and supervise six youth crew member (ages 15-18) for 7 weeks in Virgin Island National Park. The leader will get additional time for leadership training, and to prepare for the team’s on-site arrival and departure.
The Virgin Island YCC Leader will work with partners at the National Park service to provide meaningful work that will improve the park and encourage environmental stewardship. The position will focus on environmental education and the implementation of work projects that benefit the natural resources of the park. Projects will include invasive species removal, facilities maintenance, power-washing walkways and structures, and assisting with wildlife and vegetation monitoring. This is great opportunity to inspire a lifelong love of the outdoors, while also being inspired yourself in a beautiful island habitat.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
- Act as a Team Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as an Advisor, by training your team in conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
- Experience working with youth, teaching or environmental education, program development a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills and/or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, habitat restoration, light carpentry, painting, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to adjust to a ﬂexible schedule and coordinate changes with your group and/or agency partners
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
- Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- $600/week total salary, paid bi-weekly. Training time is paid.
- Stipend of up to $1,000 is available to offset travel costs.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.