The Environmental Outreach and Services Intern (local area candidates only) will assist in the implementation of environmental education-based programs and assist with animal care.
- Education Programming
- Assist development and lead in the delivery of education programming to student groups (i.e. water quality testing, Hudson River fish identification, seining).
- Daily preparation of equipment, supplies, etc.
- Support and assist with weekday K-12 programming and weekend public programs with a variety of groups, primarily elementary and middle school-age children beginning in August.
- Assist with Community Science programs to execute with volunteers in the field.
- Marketing / Outreach of organization newsletters, social media, etc.
- Assist in the daily care and maintenance of a live animal collection.
Compensation: $300/wk Living Allowance (pre-tax)
Intern selected into this position MUST enroll in the AmeriCorps Education Award program
- This internship will serve out of the Clarkson University/Beacon Institute Water Ecology Center on Dennings Point, part of the Hudson Highlands State Park of the NYS Oﬃce of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP).
- Dennings Point is a 64-acre peninsula with diverse habitats, wildlife, native vegetation and recreational trails in the heart of Beacon, NY.
- Training Provided
- First Aid, CPR, community science data collection methods, animal biology and care, species ID
- Educational/Recreational Opportunities
- Beacon, NY is a hub of culture and nature! We have many many local opportunities for the SCA member to enjoy. Hiking, biking, kayaking, all within a train ride to NYC!
Main Area of Focus
Education and Interpretation
Education, Training & Skills Expected
Biology: some coursework or experience
Education: some coursework or experience
Earth Sciences: some coursework or experience
Arts/Humanities: some coursework or experience
Field Research: some experience
Working with Animals: some experience
Social Media: some experience
Community Engagement: some experience
Working with Children: some experience
Valid Drivers License Needed
Personal Vehicle Required
Local transportation can be difficult to the job site.