Supply Chain/Materials Planner and Special Strategic Project Intern – Supply Chain
Summary of Internship
The Materials planner Internship position provides an opportunity for Engineering and Supply Chain students, who are currently pursuing a Supply Chain Management and/or Operations Management degree, to get hands on experience. Working with operations, supply chain, suppliers, engineering and finance (Not limited to) in a fast-paced environment while contributing to moving the needle in the world of Supply Chain. This position develops, issues, coordinates and communicates the daily manufacturing schedule as well as creates nesting configurations to achieve committed ship dates to customers in the most cost-effective manner possible. The position starts in June, paid working 40 hours per week through August. Opportunity exists for this position to continue through the academic year on a part-time basis to allow for class schedules.
- Directs the manufacturing efforts of the organization by developing daily production schedules, taking into consideration pre-established line rates, established committed lead-times and cost effectiveness of schedules.
- Proactively works with the purchasing department to identify shortages and schedule accordingly to reduce the number of shortages that impact operations.
- Proactively works with production to expedite production requests as required and communicate any delays that will impact production requirements.
- Control all documentation relative to the operations planning function. Such documentation includes but is not limited to, backlog reports, lead-time analysis, shop floor orders (including rework orders), delivery performance, daily production status, pull from stock sheet, lead-time maintenance, shortage reports, and close production order reports.
- Creates nesting configurations for the turret punch presses and the punching cell using Amada Nesting Software.
- Inspects and tests all G-Code files for production
- Prepare groups of nested files for production
- Perform periodic back-up on part files
- Modifies layout to maximize material utilization
- Recommends to Engineering updates to the machine perimeters.
- Will be tasked to establish in process and out process metrics to drive on time delivery to production.
- Participates in PPI events as a VS SME in regard to materials management and flow
- Not limited to (Will be involved in special projects – Ex: “PFEP”, Kanban/Material replenishment execution)
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve
- Desire to contribute and improve design of new processes and concepts as it relates to Supply Chain and materials management
- Exceptional customer focus
- Desire to teach others about technology and concepts in area of expertise
- Familiarity with MRP/ERP Systems
- Enrolled in a 4 year University/College
- Previous Internship Experience
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Power Point & Outlook – Not limited to)
- Experienced with a MRP system such as BaaN, SAP, Oracle, AS400, etc.