Research & Development Intern
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. You will grow and learn in a culture that empowers your development. We have crafted an inclusive, global environment that values the power of diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences to drive speed, efficiency, innovation, and growth.
Our internship program will give you a chance to get real world business experience and build your network before graduation. We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join our growing organization. In this position, you will learn the ins-and-outs of our daily routines and procedures. You will focus on learning how our organization runs, and will gain valuable insight that can further your interest in your chosen career field. This position has many opportunities to offer!
Customers throughout the globe rely on our extensive range of products and services—from next-generation instruments to everyday lab essentials to life-saving medicine. If you desire to be a part of an extraordinary team, Thermo Fisher Scientific can provide you with the opportunity to work in R&D to produce products that enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Thermo Fisher’s Research and Development work is carried out by dedicated professionals who want to make a difference.
Summary of Internship
Internship positions provide an opportunity for biology and sciences students to get hands on experience in a research & development environment.
Internship opportunities may include:
- Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Executes experimental plans, analyzes data, and contributes to technical reports and product summaries with mentorship
- Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of data requires an evaluation of various factors
- Exhibits creativity in selecting approaches and techniques for acquiring solutions
- Investigates new methods and technologies and maintains accurate lab notebook to support protection of intellectual property in accordance with relevant Thermo Fisher required standards
- Performs duties with guidance from manager
- Aligns with all company safety, training, and quality regulations (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.) and procedures
R&D Interns sometimes work in a laboratory environment and are required to lift up to 40 lbs. As an R&D Intern, you may be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties. You will work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials. As an intern, you will be encouraged to work flexible hours.
Candidate must work independently with direction, as well as in collaborative teams. Interns must also carry out standard operating procedures involving basic laboratory techniques, calculations, materials measurement, operation of equipment and record keeping. Interns can be responsible for testing data records, notebooks and computerized data storage. Additionally Interns are asked to make detailed observations and analyze data to ensure we are operating within encouraged parameters
- Student currently enrolled in classes leading to an accredited Bachelor’s degree in a related engineering, science or life science field
- Preferred majors: Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biology, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or other related major
- Strong desire and motivation to develop a career in Research & Development
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a multi-functional team
- Ability to learn, be mentored, and improve
- Desire to guide other specialists and scientist about technology in area of expertise
- Requires a functional knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques.
- Accuracy and attention to detail is required in performing all functions of this position.
- Initiative, organizational and digital literacy are valuable to ensure effective laboratory operations.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills are required.
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!