This intern position covers positions located within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Intelligence Enterprise (IE). Specialty areas include research, analysis, evaluation, coordination, and dissemination of intelligence information; assessment and hypothesis testing regarding known or emerging border security threats; and maintenance and control of classified material and derivative classification requirements that apply to national security.
Check with your internship coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
Duties at CBP
Work within this job series requires an Intelligence Research Specialist to apply a full range of analytical knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide finished intelligence and intelligence products in support of operations to enhance the agency mission. Typical work assignments may include:
- Execution of all-source intelligence compilation, analysis, production and dissemination;
- Timely assimilation of disparate data; rendering of knowledgeable and accurate assessments regarding the intelligence implications of such data; and effective presentation;
- Sourcing reliability and information validating determinations; incorporation of information from multiple sources into intelligence products;
- Synthesis of information into coherent and meaningful pictures, or visualization of trends and patterns to convey intelligence to the appropriate audience for awareness, status updates or to inform operations;
- Identifying intelligence gaps, problems or potential difficulties; and
- Assessment, estimation and forecasting regarding evolving or emerging border security threats; recommendation of appropriate courses of action to counter those threats; and successful execution of intelligence initiatives.