U.S. News & World Report is a digital-first media company dedicated to helping consumers and business professionals make important decisions. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism, and advice that have earned the trust of our readers and users for more than 85 years.
As a trusted authority providing empowerment and guidance that improves the quality of life for consumers and communities, U.S. News ultimately leads to better life decisions.
You will work with a passionate and hard-working team of news journalists covering politics and policy, as well as with our Best Countries, Best States and Healthiest Communities rankings. Help gather, analyze and visualize data for projects across our News section. Write data-driven articles and listicles/slideshows as needed.
- Underwritten by our partner, USAFacts, candidates should be recent graduates of a data journalism program or its equivalent. Evidence of work on a significant/ complex data project would be an asset.
POSITION REQUIREMENTSJob Responsibilities:
- Write frequent data-driven stories of varying lengths under tight deadline pressure
- Assist in data collection/analysis
- Help with broader data projects and data visualization
- Follow the news and locate relevant data sets to provide context to the events of the day
Full-time fellow description:
- Full-time for 12 months
- We expect fellows to work 37.5 hours/week, Monday-Friday. Occasional weekend and night work
- All fellows are paid $15/hour
- Interest in news, politics, demographics and policy
- Experience working with data
- Familiar with content management systems
- Able to juggle multiple assignments
- Ability to work as a team member under tight deadlines
- Experience working at a college newspaper or its equivalent
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, professionalism and maturity in the workplace
- Effective communicator in both written and spoken English
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in use of MSOffice Suite, Google Docs
- Familiarity with html, css and datawrapper
- 3.0 GPA or above preferred