The MARS facility has an immediate opening for a full time Research Technician to join our team developing and executing high throughput and aggregate testing protocols for SARS-CoV2. This technician will primarily be responsible for running molecular tests for the detection of SARS-CoV2, including daily processing of wastewater samples from UConn and external users. The successful applicant will provide managerial support for the oversight of part-time student technicians responsible for sample collection and intake of samples from external users. After training in data analysis, the ideal candidate will deliver daily results reports for facility tests. MARS is a University facility that runs several different molecular protocols supporting a high user base. Thus, this position will provide opportunities for the ideal candidate to learn other molecular tests performed in the facility as well as help develop new protocols for emerging technologies in microbial testing and next generation sequencing.
* Attention to detail
* Ability to track multiple work flows simultaneously
* Self-directed after initial training phase
* Excellent written and oral communication
* Experience with molecular techniques (DNA/RNA extraction and/or PCR)
* Bachelor’s degree in a related field or Associate’s degree with >2 years lab experience
* Availability to start immediately
* Experience working independently in a molecular lab
* Experience working with 10s or 100s of samples
* Experience with qPCR or ddPCR
* Experience with some computational tools we use: SQl database, qPCR software, R
* Supervisory or mentoring experience in a lab setting
This position will be filled as a full-time (40 hours per week), 6 month renewable appointment. Individuals hired on Special Payroll do not receive benefits, although they may purchase medical coverage at group rates. Additional information can be found on the Department of Human Resources Benefits website.
The target hourly rate for this position is $18 per hour, commensurate with experience. If you are interested and meet ALL of the required qualifications, please submit a cover letter and CV (as a single PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis, until the position is filled.