The aviation operations specialist is primarily responsible for scheduling and dispatching tactical aircraft missions. They help operate one of the largest fleets of aircraft in the world and keep them running safely and efficiently.
- Process local and cross-country flight clearances.
- Check the accuracy of flight plans and coordinate them.
- Maintain flight logs on incoming/outgoing flights and individual flight records.
- Alert crash crews of emergencies.
- Interpret and post weather reports.
Job training for an aviation operations specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and eight weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field under simulated combat conditions.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Introduction to Army aviation operations and record-keeping.
- Procedures for scheduling aircraft and assigning crew.
- Flight planning and airfield operations.
- Interest in working with computers.
- Ability to use typewriters and office machines.
- Interest in math, aircraft, and air traffic.
- Keeping accurate records.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS:
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career in aviation. Flight operations specialists often work for commercial and private airlines, air transport companies, and airports.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PAYS) PROGRAM:
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- AAR Aircraft Services, Inc.
- LOCKHEED MARTIN.
- Raytheon Company.
- L-3 Communications Linguist Operations & Technical Support.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.