The culinary specialist is primarily responsible for the preparation and service of food in field or garrison foodservice operations.
- Bake, fry, braise, boil, simmer, steam and sauté as prescribed by Army recipes.
- Operate, maintain and clean field kitchen equipment.
- Perform preventive maintenance on garrison and field kitchen equipment.
Job training for a culinary specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and nine weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field, including practice in food preparation.
- Standard and dietetic menus and recipes.
- Preparation and cooking of various foodstuffs and bakery products.
- Food and supply ordering.
- Storage of meats, poultry, and other perishable items.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.
Future Civilian Careers:
The skills you learn as a culinary specialist will help prepare you for a future with civilian cafes, restaurants, cafeterias, hotels, hospitals, manufacturing plants, schools, and other organizations that have their own dining facilities. Depending on which specialty you pursue, you’ll be able to pursue a career as a cook, chef, meat cutter, butcher or baker.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program:
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- Kraft Food Global, Inc.
- McDonald’s Restaurants of Hawaii, Inc.
- Grand Sierra Resort.
- Shearer’s Foods, Inc.
- Dot Foods, Inc.
- Patrick Cudahy, Inc.
- Santa Fe Cattle Company.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.