The medical laboratory specialist conducts tests on the tissue, blood and body fluids of patients.
- Perform elementary blood banking and clinical laboratory procedures in hematology, immunohematology, clinical chemistry, serology, bacteriology, parasitology, and urinalysis.
- Collect blood specimens by venipuncture and capillary puncture.
- Pack, unpack, inspect, store and distribute blood and blood products.
- Assemble, disassemble and maintain laboratory equipment.
Job training for a medical laboratory specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 52 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice-testing specimens.
- Interest in biology, chemistry, and algebra.
- Ability to follow detailed procedures precisely.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.
Future Civilian Careers:
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with privately owned laboratories, hospitals, clinics or research institutions.
The certifications available to you after continued study and experience are medical laboratory technician, cytotechnologist and clinical laboratory technician. Specific educational criteria must be met before you can qualify for certification.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program:
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital/Health Systems.
- NorthCrest Medical Center.
- Cleveland Clinic.
- Atlantic Health System.
- Bell Ambulance, Inc.
- Prince William Health System.
- Reliant Medical Group.
- Yale-New Haven Hospital.
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.