The Veterinary Food Inspection Specialist inspects food designed for human consumption, while also supervising food inspection and combined veterinary service activities.
- Evaluate packaging, packing, and marking requirements.
- Identify unsanitary conditions in food storage facilities and commissary stores.
- Operate and maintain inspection equipment.
- Perform duties in accordance with approved standards of conduct and report suspected fraud.
Job training for a veterinary food inspection specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and eight weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including food safety/protection and quality assurance.
- Interest in food safety, health, mathematics, chemistry, and biology.
- Enjoy cooking.
- Preference for working with your hands.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.
Future Civilian Careers:
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with the Department of Agriculture, the Food and Drug Administration, and the U.S. Department of Commerce.
Depending on the specialty for which you receive training, you’ll be able to pursue a career as a city health inspector, a quality assurance auditor at a manufacturing plant, a seafood inspector, a poultry and shell eggs inspector, and fresh fruit and vegetable grader.
Your training will also enable you to pursue a career as a food inspector/auditor or sanitarian with various government agencies and civilian food producers.
Partnership for Youth Success (PaYS) Program:
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital/Health Systems.
- NorthCrest Medical Center.
- Cleveland Clinic.
- Atlantic Health System.
- Bell Ambulance, Inc.
- Prince William Health System.
- Reliant Medical Group.
- Yale-New Haven Hospital.
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Enlistment Age Requirement: 17-34.