Water treatment specialists are primarily responsible for supervising or performing the installation and operation of water purification equipment, as well as dealing with water storage and distribution operations and activities. They also inspect facilities and food supplies for the presence of disease, germs or other conditions hazardous to health and the environment.
- Perform water quality analysis testing and verification.
- Assist in water reconnaissance and site preparation.
- Operate and maintain water treatment equipment.
- Assist in the setup of water treatment activity.
Job training for a water treatment specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 14 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field, including practice in testing different products.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Identification of health hazards.
- Inspection of food products, food service operations, wastewater, and waste disposal facilities.
- Interest in algebra, biology, chemistry and general science.
- High attention to detail.
- Interest in protecting the environment.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS:
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with local, state or federal government agencies. You’ll be able to consider a future as a food and drug inspector, public health inspector, health and safety inspectors or industrial hygienists.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PAYS) PROGRAM:
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company.
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation.
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must be between the ages of 17-34.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.