United States of Care is searching for an intern to join our External Affairs team in Spring 2022. The mission of United States of Care is to ensure that everyone has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income. A non-partisan non-profit, we are building and mobilizing a movement to achieve long-lasting solutions that make health care better for everyone.
Interns support all departments within United States of Care–policy and external affairs, operations, development, and public engagement, with particular emphasis on their focus area (external affairs). Potential projects include state and federal stakeholder research, as well as drafting blogs, writing memos, attending virtual legislative or congressional hearings, tracking earned media, and monitoring legislative and regulatory changes. During the internship, each intern is encouraged to take advantage of local and virtual health care and networking events, and to bring their learnings back to share with the team. We are accepting applications for this position for Spring 2022. Spring internships are part time, 20 hours per week.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the United States of Care team in research, planning, and operations;
- Be able to read, understand, and summarize dense research and policy writing in a concise manner;
- Have a practical understanding of the legislative or congressional process;
- Stay up to date with current health policy changes at the state and federal level.
Policy and External Affairs Focus
- Write and contribute to external policy briefs and blogs, assist with the development of, stakeholder memos, and contribute to internal documents;
- Analyze and track state and/or federal-level health care policy efforts and political actions;
- Attend, take notes, and report back on relevant legislative hearings, policy summits, and other state and federal opportunities;
- Support the members of the Policy and External Affairs team as necessary; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Policy and External Affairs team.
- Must have a strong commitment to ensuring everyone in the U.S. has access to quality, affordable health care, and be open to operating in a bipartisan atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission;
- Currently enrolled in a masters program, or between academic programs, preferably with a focus on Public Health, Public Policy, Health Care, Political Science, Communications, Business, Nonprofit Management, Economics, Leadership, Social Sciences, or another other applicable program;
- Commitment to addressing and understanding health inequities across underserved communities, and their implications on access to quality affordable health care;
- Relevant work, volunteer, or internship experience;
- Flexible and enthusiastic about working in a startup environment, and willing to take on a wide range of tasks necessary to support a growing team;
- Self-directed, takes initiative, and able to manage competing priorities;
- Strong communications and writing skills;
Spring internships are part time, and require approximately 20 hours per week. Internships at United States of Care require a full three month commitment, and are fully remote as a result of the current federal public health emergency. In your application, indicate your preference for Spring term. Application deadline is October 15, 2021.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. USofCare is unable to commence (“sponsor”) an immigration case in order to employ an applicant.
Internships are temporary positions and provide a $1,320 monthly stipend for part time. There is also the opportunity for school credit, if permitted by your college or university.
Interested applicants should apply through this link: https://unitedstatesofcare.org/career/external-affairs-internship/?positionApplying=External+Affairs+Internship