2021-2022 AS2 Academic Mentor Application
Academic & Student Services (AS2) supports the unique needs of each student-athlete by providing strategic services and programming in the areas of academic support, academic counseling, student-athlete development, and student services. Our student-centered approach empowers student-athletes to maximize their educational experience as they pursue academic and personal goals. It is our mission to graduate self-sufficient learners who are able to successfully embark on life after college.
Academic Mentor Position:
Salary: $15.60 per hour
Start Date: September 13th, 2021
Department Name: Department of Intercollegiate Athletics (DIA)
Job Summary Statement: The primary responsibility of an AS2 academic mentor is to serve as a mentor to freshmen and transfer UCLA student-athletes. The AS2 Academic Mentor program is a professional practice experience that provides exposure to academic support services, academic counseling, NCAA continuing academic eligibility rules, and athletics administration. Through hands-on experience academic mentors receive valuable feedback on their development and demonstration of essential professional skills. Academic mentors will be assigned to support a variety of UCLA student-athletes across the 25 teams.
Hours Required: 17-20 hours per week, must be able to work Monday through Thursday between the hours of 8am – 5pm
Application Deadline: We will interview and make hiring decisions on a rolling basis. The preferred application deadline is August 20th, 2021.
– Bachelor’s Degree
– Outstanding interpersonal and verbal communications skills to articulate and report academic expectations and progress; and the use of correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation in written communication
– Must be self-directed and able to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks subject to frequent interruptions
– Ability to work collaboratively in situations that may be time sensitive or otherwise highly pressured, with a variety of individuals including students, academic personnel, and staff
– Must be able to attend training sessions September 13-15th
– Offer of employment is contingent upon obtaining positive results from a pre-employment background screening.
– Employment is contingent upon the ability to provide appropriate identification documents to satisfy the Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) Form at the time of hiring as outlined: here
– Until further notice, the University is operating remotely; this will require all meetings/trainings to be held via Zoom (account provided by UCLA). Once campus reopens, academic mentors will be asked to work on campus. Tentative return may be as early as Summer 21.
– You must have access to a computer with stable internet connection, camera and private audio capabilities to complete job requirements
– Assist student-athletes in developing a success plan by setting large-scale attainable academic goals and support them by completing smaller targeted practical tasks
– Monitor student-athlete transition to a competitive university environment by seeking and utilizing campus resources
– Maintain a regular schedule of recurring mentoring meetings as assigned
– Assess and report on student-athletes’ progress and foster academic accountability
– Participate in all mandatory initial and ongoing training and professional development sessions as scheduled by AS2 and DIA
– Perform general administrative tasks as needed and complete various projects as assigned by supervisors
– Learn and follow all department policies, university standards of academic integrity, applicable NCAA Bylaws, and confidentiality agreements
– 30 hours of Professional Development trainings
– Staff Networking Events
– Career Development Workshops
Benefits do not include:
– Paid University holidays & closures
– Parking (passes available for purchase)
– Course credit through UCLA
– Medical, dental, or vision benefits
– Sponsorship for conferences
Interviews will be conducted via Zoom; candidates will need to have access to Zoom prior to their scheduled interview. Zoom is available as a free mobile app as well as a desktop app. We will interview and make hiring decisions on a rolling basis. We highly encourage early applications as positions fill quickly. Candidates applying for a 2021-2022 academic mentor position must commit to the FULL appointment of the 21-22 academic year.
All applications must include the following materials:
1. Cover letter
3. Minimum of three references
4. Official or unofficial undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) academic transcript(s)
All application materials (items 1-4) are to be submitted through the application link as a single PDF document titled “Your Last Name, Your First Name.pdf”
Any questions and/or concerns regarding the application or the application process should be directed to:
Linda Lassiter, Director Student-Athlete Counseling/Intern Management Committee Chair
Academic & Student Services