Under the direction of the Executive Director, serves as a Senate Analyst to support the core functions of the UCLA Academic Senate. Provides high-level administrative and analytical support to the Senate Chair, committee or council chairs, the Executive Director, and assigned committees/councils. Administrative responsibilities include scheduling meetings and guests, tracking reports and issues, attending meetings, drafting professional and analytical correspondence, agendas, minutes, reports and other documents. Research, draft, and prepare reports; research, compile, and present data, and communicate information effectively and accurately in a high-volume environment with competing deadlines and multiple stakeholders. The Senate Analyst is responsible for some administrative and operational functions for the Academic Senate Office including basic budget, personnel, project management, and communication-related duties. Provide administrative support on Senate projects as assigned.
The Academic Senate has more than 20 standing committees, and committee assignments may change at the discretion of the Executive Director.
The target salary range for this position is between the posted minimum and $37.36 hourly.
Supervised by the two Assistant Directors. Position has a possibility of longer-term remote work.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise mature judgment in independent decision-making, conduct complicated levels of policy analysis and research, exercise initiative, creativity in coordinating projects and designing analytical materials and deliver results.
- Skill in analyzing information, dealing with problems, situations, practices or procedures, formulating logical and objective conclusions and making recommendations for effective solutions.
- Skill in defining and setting appropriate priorities, organizing assignments in an efficient manner, and completing work in a timely manner with conflicting deadlines.
- Skill in working independently and following through on assignments.
- Ability and judgment to deal with confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Skill in listening perceptively, conveying awareness and responsiveness.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure.
- Skill to proactively complete project management tasks.
- Skill in both verbal and written communications to convey and obtain information.
- Skill in writing grammatically correct analytical reports, minutes, and other correspondence using logical arguments and appropriate data and info.
- Ability to adapt to rotating Senate committee chairs, as well as Senate officers.
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and implement university and outside agency rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Advanced ability with Microsoft Office and various web-based software.
- BA or BS degree and two years of experience in administrative analysis or operations research; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to thrive in a high-paced environment with conflicting agendas, priorities, and deadlines.
- Demonstrated skill in working both independently and collaboratively.
- Working knowledge of operational requirements of complex university governance system.
- Working knowledge of UC and UCLA administrative policies and procedures and practices.
- Skill with accounting and budgeting processes, techniques, and procedures.
- Competency with internal controls and managing expenditures within the parameters of established budgets; ability to apply expenses to appropriate funding sources; ability to analyze financial feasibility of and approval for new programs or plans and funding sources.
- Ability to serve as resource person for the campus for all aspects of Senate public-facing services.