Are you a professional Sonographer looking to pick up hours? Look no further! UPMC Mercy is hiring a Casual Multi Skilled Sonographer! This role will have daylight shifts with weekend/holiday on calls.
Grow with UPMC Imaging Services! Our new career ladder was created to help you grow professionally with opportunities to progress from both a technical and managerial standpoint! Apply today!
Performs imaging procedures at a technical level not requiring constant supervision. Competently performs a variety of technical procedures that require independent judgment, ingenuity and initiative to apply prescribed ionizing radiation for diagnostic purposes.
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn new skills and a willingness to educate others in their areas of expertise. Serves as a resource for new hires and students.
- Assists physicians with invasive procedures as necessary and adheres strictly to the universal protocol standards.
- Utilizes appropriate ultrasound instrumentation for procedures and demonstrates knowledge of equipment operations, applications and scanning techniques resulting in optimized image data/documentation. Completes procedures according to protocol.
- Works as team member within assigned departments to expedite patient care efficiently by demonstrating excellent communication and customer service skills. Effectively communicate with physicians, co-workers, managers, and patients in assigned sites and/or departments.
- Ensures all exams within his/her area of responsibility are properly coded and tracked through RIS system, all exams are properly networked to ISITE for archiving and interpretation, and all charges are adequately entered for the exams performed.
- May be responsible for High Level Disinfection of devices, supplies and/or equipment
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate instructions to patients in a clear and concise manner and explain procedures to help allay the patient’s fears and solicit their cooperation.
- Maintains flexibility to work within different clinical areas to support the needs of the departments and/or business units to ensure that staffing is adequate to support services across the enterprise. Maintains assigned workflow patterns at site based on patient volumes and continually communicates with supervisors and/or managers.
- Obtains appropriate image documentation of cross-sectional anatomy in all body planes demonstrating anatomy, anatomical relationships and ultrasonic characteristics of normal and abnormal tissues and obtains and correlates ultrasonic measurements of structures/organs with data charts, anatomical normal measurements and computer data programs, where applicable.
- Identifies all patients properly by using two patient identifiers and utilizes universal protocol when performing procedures. Reviews patient history and assesses physician orders, applying specific departmental protocols for optimal results in the acquisition of data. Documents patient history in electronic record as required.
- Demonstrates a strong ability to interact with both patients and co-workers, while displaying a high level of caring, listening, dignity and respect. Able to work as team member within the department and all other departments to expedite patient care efficiently.
- Performs a variety of technical ultrasound procedures, correlating appropriate patient history, laboratory data, and physical findings, for the purpose of assisting in a patient?s medical diagnosis under the direct supervision of a physician.
Completion of formal training in an Ultrasound program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) required. When rotating between two or more specialties, must hold registry in each specialty. Performance review consistent with minimum of strong/ Solid performance on last performance review. 15% of Sonographers time must be spent in secondary specialty.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
RDMS Registered, Secondary RDMS registry requiredCPR or BLS preferredCPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS)
- Act 31 Child Abuse Reporting with renewal
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
More than just competitive pay and benefits, UPMC’s Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life — because we believe that you’re at your best when receiving the support you need: professional, personal, financial, and more.
At UPMC, we’re driven by shared values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. Our Values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity, Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.